Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

New Raybestos AT Drums Out-of-Round

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 10:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default New Raybestos AT Drums Out-of-Round

I recently did my rear brakes and had a Boo Boo and let one of my wheel cylinder pistons pop out.

So after all said and done and going through hell finding the right speed bleeders I finally got back her on the road. ( In part two of this message after the picture)

During light braking I could feel light pulsation in the pedal. Hard braking was OK.

So I assumed I may still have air in there from the Boo Boo. So I ran another bottle of fluid through it. No change.

I called Raybestos and they said air would only cause soft mushy weak pedal. He said its not uncommon for new drums to need to be cut, sorry.

So I pulled them and the pic below shows the signs of the above said.
The drums are Raybestos Advanced Technology's.

Name:  shoechatter_zps76a89a82.jpg
Views: 2590
Size:  189.6 KB

The 2005 Silverado Rear Drum Brakes Speed Bleeder Part Number Story

I wanted speed bleeders. Sometimes I heat em up so twice a year I bleed them. The rear wheel cylinders are brass or the like and if you let them go too long you will see dark green fluid on your first few peal pumps.

So I go to RockAuto and theirs are Dorman, and the description shows "Without Orange Dot" Huh? No one could say what it meant but my wheels as seen in the pic above show Green Dot markings. They are on the tips of the lugs, the cylinder, the adjuster and elsewhere.
So I order and the rears will not take thread. The fronts will only catch two threads because the valve seat tip is too long.

I call Speed Bleeder. Other than them not being aware of the Changes on the 05 brakes they were SUPER HELPFUL. Great people. Now they know about the drum rears.

They had me give them some info and then fill an order for what I needed. They don't usually sell to the end user but this was a new case.

Below is a pic of what you will need for a 2005 type of braking system speed bleeders. I edited in the part numbers from the back of the packages and the front and rear titles.

I suggest you go with Speed Bleeder brand. There are Chinese knock-off that have failed. The tell tale is the sealant color. Speed Bleeder uses the silver or gray looking. The others use Red-ish or White. The Dorman packages clearly were marked China.

Name:  correctbleeders_zpse6926779.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  186.3 KB
Old 02-02-2013, 07:24 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 786 Likes on 652 Posts

Holy crap that was a lot to read...

To answer your question:

Yes, I used to cut every new drum and rotor in all various brands. Some were better then others. In general there massed produced mostly over sea's and the equipment they are machined on are not serviced or maintained regularly.

Some New rotor's and drums that I have machined were so bad that they required 2 cut's just to get to an even surface. I can only imagine what customers with no Equipment go through doing there own brake jobs.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks, Basically I wanted to point out that Raybestos's Best drum still needed cutting.

And Part 2 was to help others with getting the correct speed bleeders if so-desired.
If you searched Speed bleeders application chart you would get the wrong fronts and no rears.
If you searched Dorman's p/n's or RockAuto you would get the wrong fronts and rears.

All the above due to GM's Brake System Change for the 05 Silvey.

Another quirk they did in 2005 was to delete the 3.73 gears! I was not optimistic but the Radix loves them. Whew!
Old 02-02-2013, 07:35 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Originally Posted by therock
Thanks, Basically I wanted to point out that Raybestos's Best drum still needed cutting.

And Part 2 was to help others with getting the correct speed bleeders if so-desired.
If you searched Speed bleeders application chart you would get the wrong fronts and no rears.
If you searched Dorman's p/n's or RockAuto you would get the wrong fronts and rears.

All the above due to GM's Brake System Change for the 05 Silvey.

Another quirk they did in 2005 was to delete the 3.73 gears! I was not optimistic but the Radix loves them. Whew!
Actually 3.73 were available in 2005
Old 02-02-2013, 07:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

No Sir! Not on a 2005 Z71 ECSB B-Motor L33 equipped unit. I ran the gauntlet on that one. I was highly disappointed when I heard it. I called General Motors Customer Service to confirm the RPO availability.
Then as I was ready to walk on the deal they gave me the Employee pricing a week before the promo was pressed released.

Maybe in other configs. They brought them back in 2006.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:59 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

I don't know why the L33 option would be any different, but I have them in my truck from the factory and I have looked a several used trucks including 4x4 that had them from the factory.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Strange indeed. Talking to GM CS and then being allowed to see the dealership RPO screens on their computers pretty much has me wondering how you can do that.
I even read articles on it in something like Edmund's where they talked about the bakes and MPG improvements such as the alternator that stops output when its not needed, the air dam additional 1", the cups behind the tow hooks, the added flaps behind the lights and such, the 80lb reduction in engine weight from the L33 aluminum block, and the 3.42 standard gearing deleting the 3.73. Call me crazy.

Unless they brought them out later in the run before 2006. My truck was purchased as soon as the first ones hit the lots. I tried to special order a truck with them in it and no dice.

I'm very happy with my 3.42's but I am gonna check your story because my curiosity is peaked. I have always ran 3.73's and it was a large issue with me at the time.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:40 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Just an FWI the 05 SS 2WD trucks and the VHO's came standard with 3:73 even though they were 14 bolt 9.5 rear ends.

Maybe at the time there were no trucks in inventory built with that option but they were available.

I believe they were even standard on the California edition package trucks.