Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

new suspensions setup-trying to get it to hook

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 11:02 AM

Received 223 Likes on 149 Posts
Default new suspensions setup-trying to get it to hook

I’m making headway on the truck here lately and getting excited about it being close to done, so here is an update. My main focus here lately has been getting the truck to hook. It’s not as easy with the 2 wheel drive extended cab. I just want to get it out of the hole as hard as possible because I feel that the light and first 60’ of the race is the most important. My goal is mid 1.5's consistently, which as far as I know; nobody has done with the 2wd ECSB. Plenty of SCSB’s going 1.5 and faster so I know it’s possible!

I already had adjustable shocks and cal-tracs, so the first step for me was a flip kit instead of the shackle/hanger setup. I did this to try and get the operating angles of the traction bars to be better. At the same time, I went to a 15” Bogart wheel and Mickey Thompson tire instead of the 16” wheel+Hoosier tire setup. I think the combination of parts helped big-time over the old stuff. I went from 1.68 on a 125 shot out of the hole, to a 1.68 on motor dead hooking. Even though it is dead hooking, I know it will need more traction on the spray(still haven’t sprayed out of hole on flip kit and Mickey T tires). One drawback of the flip kit is it laid my shocks out pretty bad. They were lying horizontal and at an angle to where they really couldn’t do their job right. Fine for a normal daily driver, but I’m looking from the performance standpoint, and wanting every bit of my 60' that I can get. So I relocated the shocks last weekend. Both out the back and both leaning back 10*. While I was in there I went ahead and welded the axle tube and set my pinion angle to a better position. Here it is at this point. It needs some major cleaning and paint but everything is where it belongs and welded up. Hopefully it works.

The next step in looking for 1.5 60' times is gears and better weight distribution. On Thursday I’m having my 4.30 gears installed. Then it’s on to putting some weight behind the axle for better weight distribution. I had a 20 gallon fuel cell made up that will replace the OEM fuel tank. More weight out back to plant those tires, and less weight up front to help transfer a little more. It’s all centered too which should help. An example of my fuel cell is on skeet’s truck.

The final step will be re-doing the torque converter. I am currently on a circle d triple disk 3600. I want to step it up to a 4,000 to 4200. Hopefully the new suspension setup will work with the bigger gears and converter with a 125 to 150 shot out of the hole. I’ll keep this thread updated with any better/worse 60’ times that I may get in the future.

Last edited by BlackGMC; 06-21-2010 at 01:41 PM.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:14 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks good man. What method did you use to get good angles on the shocks?
Old 06-21-2010, 11:39 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have any pics from the side? I want to see the wheels and stance...Just wondering if it hurts to weld to the top of frame? I like what you've done with the shocks. Should help with the weight transfer.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:53 AM

the weld on the top of the frame is just a tach to put everything in place and measure to see if it's all where i want. to measure the shock angles, i just threw the trusty ol angle finder onto the shock. made sure it leaned back 10* and stood 90* straight up (so it wouldnt lean left/right when looking at it from the back). and all of the other stuff is welded to the frame just like the OEM stuff. here is a picture of the stance. in the picture it has a 29" front tire and 28" rear tire so it looks like it leans back a little. when the street tires are on, the truck sits perfect level on every corner. hopefully the fuel cell out back doesnt change any of that.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ahh some weight reduction included, good decission, looks like you got it going your way!!

should work out well for ya!!

call me or text me later i got a number for ya, about some bogarts ( front runners ) brand new in the box, probably get them cheap
Old 06-21-2010, 12:21 PM

aww hell lol. i was planning on just getting some colorado spares. i just cant seem to find front runners being worth $700 lol. ill text ya in a bit.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
aww hell lol. i was planning on just getting some colorado spares. i just cant seem to find front runners being worth $700 lol. ill text ya in a bit.
i would at lease call and see how much he wants for them, last i heard they been sitting at his dads shop, something like he wrecked his truck before he got the front ones in, so he sold the back ones, i'd give him 400 for them
Old 06-21-2010, 12:34 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Subscribed
Old 06-21-2010, 12:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
I’m making headway on the truck here lately and getting excited about it being close to done, so here is an update. My main focus here lately has been getting the truck to hook. It’s not as easy with the 2 wheel drive extended cab. I just want to get it out of the hole as hard as possible because I feel that the light and first 60’ of the race is the most important. My goal is mid 1.5's consistently, which as far as I know; nobody has done with the 2wd ECSB. Plenty of SCSB’s going 1.5 and faster so I know it’s possible!

I already had adjustable shocks and cal-tracs, so the first step for me was a flip kit instead of the shackle/hanger setup. I did this to try and get the operating angles of the traction bars to be better. At the same time, I went to a 15” Bogart wheel and Mickey Thompson tire instead of the 16” wheel+Hoosier tire setup. I think the combination of parts helped big-time over the old stuff. I went from 1.68 on a 125 shot out of the hole, to a 1.68 on motor dead hooking. Even though it is dead hooking, I know it will need more traction on the spray(still haven’t sprayed out of hole on flip kit and Mickey T tires). One drawback of the flip kit is it laid my shocks out pretty bad. They were lying horizontal and at an angle to where they really couldn’t do their job right. Fine for a normal daily driver, but I’m looking from the performance standpoint, and wanting every bit of my 60' that I can get. So I relocated the shocks last weekend. Both out the back and both leaning back 10*. While I was in there I went ahead and welded the axle tube and set my pinion angle to a better position. Here it is at this point. It needs some major cleaning and paint but everything is where it belongs and welded up. Hopefully it works.

The next step in looking for 1.5 60' times is gears and better weight distribution. On Thursday I’m having my 4.30 gears installed. Then it’s on to putting some weight behind the axle for better weight distribution. I had a 20 gallon fuel cell made up that will replace the OEM fuel tank. More weight out back to plant those tires, and less weight up front to help transfer a little more. It’s all centered too which should help. An example of my fuel cell is on skeet’s truck.

The final step will be re-doing the torque converter. I am currently on a circle d triple disk 3600. I want to step it up to a 4,000 to 4200. Hopefully the new suspension setup will work with the bigger gears and converter with a 125 to 150 shot out of the hole. I’ll keep this thread updated with any better/worse 60’ times that I may get in the future.
G/L Stewy. I was gonna say that last pic isn't yours & cry ... Then I quoted your 1st post, all this text popped up. IDK what is wrong on PT, whether this end ot on PT's end, then all of a sudden, I'm reading all this text. Anyway, I get down to the end where u said that's a pic of skeet's truck.

Who fabbed cell?
Old 06-21-2010, 12:55 PM

weird. that happened to me when i was posting. i had to change the font color to white so it would show up on my end. maybe a mod can figure out whats going on and fix it for me.

Quick Reply: new suspensions setup-trying to get it to hook