Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

New thought for 15" wheel rear brake setup

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 05:05 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New thought for 15" wheel rear brake setup

So I'm sure this topic has been beaten to death already, but I was doing a little research and here is what I have come up with.
Stock rear rotor size on my 2000 Silverado 12.6 x 0.79 + the location of the banjo fitting prevents us from running wider and or smaller wheels. So with that being said would there be a problem with running a smaller but wider rotor on the rear? Looking at the specs the rotors on the front of the early '90s 4x4 GM trucks they are 11.610 x 1.280. Other than the obvious parking brake delete that would need to take place (mine is broken anyways) would there be a problem with just making a new set of brackets to fit those calipers? I just don't like the idea of grinding and grinding and grinding to make the S-10 calipers fit, when those are a full inch smaller in diameter. Its no problem for me and a buddy to whip something up with the grinder and welder. My concerns are would that be enough to clear the 15" wheels, and how much would that effect the braking and brake proportioning for that matter? I'm just brain storming before I start cutting, grinding and welding. The quest for more traction is down to a set of slicks, even with the stock 5.3 it just sits and burns the tires, even off the bottle. Any input is greatly appreciated.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:02 PM
On The Tree

The rotor width I posted earlier for early '90s Gm 4x4 was apperantly for an extended cab. The width of a regular cab rotor is .96 so talking with my Jeep buddy he turned me to a Jeep website and what they are doing is using the before mentioned regular cab rotors and '85 Monte Carlo front calipers (the rotor for the Monte Carlo is .97) with A&A MFG. caliper brackets. This is the route I am going. I will hopefully have everything I need to do it this weekend, I will try take pictures and see how it turns out.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How about running the drum setup from 05 and up trucks?
Old 01-10-2012, 05:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by whyt00
The rotor width I posted earlier for early '90s Gm 4x4 was apperantly for an extended cab. The width of a regular cab rotor is .96 so talking with my Jeep buddy he turned me to a Jeep website and what they are doing is using the before mentioned regular cab rotors and '85 Monte Carlo front calipers (the rotor for the Monte Carlo is .97) with A&A MFG. caliper brackets. This is the route I am going. I will hopefully have everything I need to do it this weekend, I will try take pictures and see how it turns out.
Do you have any part #'s for bracket?
It would be really nice if this worked out!!
Old 01-10-2012, 09:59 PM
On The Tree

I would have just used the drum brakes, but I want to try and keep it discs. The brackets are AA - 113 there are a couple different options with that bracket, but I chose the one with the holes already threaded, I think the brackets were like $15ea. I will make a list of parts when I know if it works or not.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:52 AM
On The Tree

So I got hired on at a dealership and they need me to start right away, so I have to move sooner than I expected so this project is gonna have to get put off for a while.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 138 Likes on 91 Posts

I'm interested to see how this turns out for you. I have been looking into using and aftermarket Wilwood caliper which may require using a smaller diameter rotor as well. I just haven't had time to pursue it with the Wilwood engineers. I know this will be a more expensive option but I may also use their Superlite4 14.25" front kit too. If yours works out well, I my go that route with the 05+ front upgrade and save a ton of cash.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:38 AM
On The Tree

Ok so it has been quite a while since I posted on this thread. I still haven't had time to do the swap on my truck, but my jeep friend wanted to do it to his '77 wagoneer so I sold all of the parts I had to him. He did a drum to the disc setup in a weekend and he is running 15x10 Mickey Thompson classic 2s with no problems at all. So if he was able to do this on a jeep wagoneer I don't see why it wouldn't work on our trucks.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:15 AM
On The Tree

The best part is I only had around $130 onto everything.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:17 AM
11 Second Truck Club

Do you have a list of parts and numbers I am ready to get on this in a couple of weeks and am willing to be the guinea pig if you dont mind.

Quick Reply: New thought for 15" wheel rear brake setup