Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

New tranny pan installed

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 10:14 PM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New tranny pan installed

Ok, I finally installed the tranny pan I ordered from ebay. It looks much better. I had to drop the exhaust to get it in because it holds a couple more quarts. Anyway, I was wondering what you guys think of the debris in the old pan. I had a magnet on the old pan since I changed the fluid. There were about 3K miles put on since the last fluid change. It was very fine metal, dust like. Just looking for opinions, is it normal wear?

Old 02-09-2006, 10:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good. is it standard capacity or high capacity pan?
Old 02-09-2006, 10:41 PM

It's supposed to hold 2 extra quarts. When I refilled it took 6 1/2 quarts, I was told it usually takes 5. So I guess it was close. I paid about $45 shipped for it so I can't complain. You think the debris in the pan is normal wear and tear? It wasn't a brand new tranny, it was taken off the 5.3 and hooked up to the 6L. Still hold fine and shifts hard.

In fact, a couple days ago some retard stopped in front of me on a 2 lane road, so me and the other 5 or so people behind me all stopped. He then pulled into a driveway across the other lane so I started to go again and then he backed up, across the road, and backed into his driveway across the street Keep in mind this is a pretty busy road. While waiting........I turned off the traction control. When he finally got out of the road I stomped it from a dead stop. I spun the 24's like they were stock for about 20 feet until it started to get sideways on me and then I let out. I took my anger out on the tranny and it held just fine
Old 02-09-2006, 10:46 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like normal **** to me. Thats what all three of my trans missions have had in the pan. Thats mostly fine clutch material. I dont know what the hell that black ring is from I dont remember that being on there. What is the plastic clip looking thing on the outside of the pan for? Mine doesnt ahve that either.
Old 02-09-2006, 10:47 PM

And quit typing with black text I can read it on darkside jackass.
Old 02-09-2006, 10:48 PM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep looks like normal wear to me too.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:20 PM

That ring is the metal forming around the magnet. The big plastic thing on the pan is the magnet. I'm not relying on the tranny drain plug magnet. The one hanging off the pan will hold a bowling up if I tied it to the plastic part.

For Cody, because he's special....
That ring is the metal forming around the magnet. The big plastic thing on the pan is the magnet. I'm not relying on the tranny drain plug magnet. The one hanging off the pan will hold a bowling up if I tied it to the plastic part.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:44 PM
TECH Addict

I'd prefer the black; the yellow hurts my eyes. Glad I was sober when I read this
Looks good man.
Old 02-10-2006, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by StrokerAce03
I'd prefer the black; the yellow hurts my eyes. Glad I was sober when I read this
Looks good man.
You arent viewing in darkside are you?

Slow I can see the normal type fine in darkside the default is white on regular it is black. When you put the first part of your original post in you must have selected black color text or something.

I understand now about the ring yeah thats fine IMO and nothing to wrry about. May think about putting a new filter in just for good measure.
Old 02-10-2006, 12:45 AM

Not on the darkside. I did put in a new filter, it's in the 2nd to last pic.

Quick Reply: New tranny pan installed