Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

NNBS transfer case issues please help

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 09:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NNBS transfer case issues please help

so long story short a little more than 2 years ago i had my transfer case go on me. every time i put any power in reverse it would seem to drop out of gear and have a nasty grinding noise. a snap ring broke on the shaft and essencially caused a shitload of shrapnel in it and i had it replaced with a gm remanufactured unit.

so fast forward to the past couple weeks, had the same thing happen from what the tech told me. i dont care about fixing it, that isnt the issue. my issue is if anyone has heard anything like this problem in other nnbs trucks and if they had a lift/tires/tune/gears etc. i have looked around a couple forums and have found nothing. i just dont see what could cause a second transfer case to blow up on me or how/what can be done to strengthen so so called snapring from breaking.
Old 01-03-2016, 10:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

What mods are on your truck?
Old 01-03-2016, 10:53 PM
TECH Resident

6 inch BDS lift
35 inch tires for winter, 33's in summer
BBP tune (done before the lift)
vette servo
intake/exhaust
4.88's and truetrac

i am in the process of getting ahold of BBP to retune anyway because the ABS/brake light comes on at highway speeds, probably going to have them tame the shifts down a bit.
Old 06-24-2016, 10:11 AM
TECH Resident

never updated this but it a whole ordeal this winter. they found broken teeth on the pinion gear in the front diff. they said the bearing was loose. fixed that and had same issue of rpm dropping while coasting and started grinding until throttle was applied. went back in and pulled the transfer case. ended up seeing some damage and replaced some parts that were damaged (i forget, dont have the repair order handy). literally picked it up did the same thing so they took it back in and worked with GM to get a new transfer case since I guess the reman units you cant tell what parts were used (1st or 2nd gen parts) so they put a new reman unit it. havent had any hiccups since but ill be pissed if in another 2 years i have to do this again. wish I could build or upgrade it and not worry about it since I would like to tinker around with my truck a bit more vs. selling it for a newer one to not have any issues.