Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

No crank spacer with 5.3L/4L80E conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 06:52 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think you need to take another look at the verter. I am telling you it was a BITCH to get mine to seat. It took two people to push it in with the tailshaft against the block wall. Give it a little jiggle and spin action as you push. I thought the SAME thing you did, then I called Hughes and they told me what to do......Shuv that Faulker in!
Old 06-30-2005, 06:53 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I did a search before posting this thread up.
Old 06-30-2005, 06:54 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Alright, I'm going to go do a leg press on it.
Old 06-30-2005, 06:55 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

here is a recommendation about your extra space, it is the last post in the thread,

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...rque+converter
Old 06-30-2005, 06:58 PM
blownerator

Originally Posted by XLR8NSS
Alright, I'm going to go do a leg press on it.

you do need to be somewhat gentle with it......

Gentle but Firm
Old 06-30-2005, 07:16 PM
Adkoonerstrator

grip - I do not have extra space when using the spacer. I don't have enough space. If the spacer is something that is definately supposed to be used then I have to assume there is another problem and I don't want to install anything until it's figured out.

Yeah, I am not going to try and force it in any further. I've checked it too many times at this point and keep getting the same thing. The measurements say it isn't going to go any further.

I did one more test and took some more measurements for everyone to maul over.

PUMP ENGAGEMENT TEST

I put the converter in and marked on the outside of it where the pump engagement notches are on the hub. Then I reinstalled the converter like previous times. I got it all the way in it will go and have the same 1 1/8" measurement from bellhousing to mounting lugs. Everything is the same as before. Next step.

I rotated the converter and put the mark that shows the position of the pump engagement notch in a certain spot. I moved it about 90 degrees out from where it was when the converter seated. Then I removed the converter and looked in the transmission to see where the little engagement pieces were positioned. They had turned with the converter to the same spot as the position mark.

I know the pump is being engaged.
Old 06-30-2005, 07:18 PM
blownerator

it may be engaged, however it may not be ALL the way in. it is a bitch to get that thing seated over the o-ring. Call PI tomorrow and ask, see what they say....I am curious to know.
Old 06-30-2005, 07:23 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by XLR8NSS
grip - I do not have extra space when using the spacer. I don't have enough space. If the spacer is something that is definately supposed to be used then I have to assume there is another problem and I don't want to install anything until it's figured out.

Yeah, I am not going to try and force it in any further. I've checked it too many times at this point and keep getting the same thing. The measurements say it isn't going to go any further.

I did one more test and took some more measurements for everyone to maul over.

PUMP ENGAGEMENT TEST

I put the converter in and marked on the outside of it where the pump engagement notches are on the hub. Then I reinstalled the converter like previous times. I got it all the way in it will go and have the same 1 1/8" measurement from bellhousing to mounting lugs. Everything is the same as before. Next step.

I rotated the converter and put the mark that shows the position of the pump engagement notch in a certain spot. I moved it about 90 degrees out from where it was when the converter seated. Then I removed the converter and looked in the transmission to see where the little engagement pieces were positioned. They had turned with the converter to the same spot as the position mark.

I know the pump is being engaged.

you said you had 1/4" gap without the spacer. looks like 1/8" is within spec. You have an option to shim with machined washers.
However, It still sounds like a seating issue to me.
Old 06-30-2005, 07:29 PM
Adkoonerstrator

PI recommended standing the transmission on the tailshaft and putting the converter on like that. Rotating, lifting and dropping(not hard or anything) the converter until it was seated.

He doesn't think the converter is seated all the way and I would love to agree with that but, from what I'm seeing first hand it is all the way in. There definately isn't 1/4" more depth for it to go back into the transmission and that is what it needs. That flat surface behind the pump engagement points is holding it out. I can say that with near 100% certainty. The bellhousing to mounting lug measurement is spot on to what it should be too.
Old 06-30-2005, 07:37 PM
blownerator

That converter is not seated all the way. I am speaking from first hand experiance, I have had the SAME problem with you....you think it is in, then it goes in another 1/4 and you **** your pants.

Quick Reply: No crank spacer with 5.3L/4L80E conversion?