Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

No oil pressure in my L59 5.3

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2024, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No oil pressure in my L59 5.3

Hello all, I have an 05 suburban with the L59 5.3. A couple months ago my oil pressure dropped to zero as I was driving to work one morning. I had it towed home and when I fired it up at home it had a nasty sounding tick. I read on another forum that there is an O ring in the oil pan that can crack and not allow oil up into the valve train. So I overfilled it and jacked the rear end up to test but I had no luck. I would rather not replace the motor simply due to cost, I am wondering what kind of issue could’ve caused this since it’s not smoking out the exhaust pipe and it’s not leaking under the truck. Any ideas would be appreciated.

thanks!
Connor
Old 06-12-2024, 04:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 207 Likes on 166 Posts

It's the oil pan pickup tube O-ring where it bolts to the oil from at the front of the engine. It's definitely an item that can cause issues with age and mileage. You can access it by removing the oil pan. It's not too difficult on 2wd models.

Have you drained the oil? If bearings are worn, you will see a glittery appearance on the oil. Use a very clean pan to collect it and shine a flashlight into it. It will be very obvious.

If oil looks good, you can purchase an oil pressure mechanical guage to see how much pressure you actually have. The gauge on the clusters usually report lower pressure than what you have, in my experience.

Last edited by strutaeng; 06-12-2024 at 04:47 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by strutaeng:
Marky Dissod (06-13-2024), wretched73 (06-13-2024), ZondaLegs (06-13-2024)
Old 06-13-2024, 07:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 379 Likes on 291 Posts

And cut open the oil filter and inspect it

How many miles and any mods?
The following users liked this post:
Marky Dissod (06-13-2024)
Old 06-13-2024, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by wretched73
And cut open the oil filter and inspect it

How many miles and any mods?
157990, I haven’t done anything except a cold air intake as it was my daily and didn’t want to put a ton of money into a worn motor like this one
Old 06-13-2024, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by strutaeng
It's the oil pan pickup tube O-ring where it bolts to the oil from at the front of the engine. It's definitely an item that can cause issues with age and mileage. You can access it by removing the oil pan. It's not too difficult on 2wd models.

Have you drained the oil? If bearings are worn, you will see a glittery appearance on the oil. Use a very clean pan to collect it and shine a flashlight into it. It will be very obvious.

If oil looks good, you can purchase an oil pressure mechanical guage to see how much pressure you actually have. The gauge on the clusters usually report lower pressure than what you have, in my experience.
I live in Utah, but back in January it was real cold so when I jacked the rear end up to test for the O ring issue I got no dice, however just yesterday I went over there and dumped sea foam and ATF into it and got slight pressure. That leads me to believe it’s a clogged pickup tube with a pinhole in it, or a cracked O ring that was only getting slight pressure because it’s way overfull. My guess was that I had no dice in January because it was cold and the oil was too thick because the motor couldn’t warm it up.
Old 06-13-2024, 12:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 199 Likes on 156 Posts

As far as plugging the inlet screen, have you ever overheated the engine? It doesn't take long to make tar that will fall off the crankcase walls or elsewhere later and plug the inlet.
The following users liked this post:
Marky Dissod (06-13-2024)
Old 06-13-2024, 12:29 PM
Teching In

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Have you changed the oil and filter since you started experiencing this lack of oil pressure ? It's one of the least expensive things to try .
The following 2 users liked this post by joom:
Marky Dissod (06-13-2024), strutaeng (06-13-2024)
Old 06-13-2024, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by joom
Have you changed the oil and filter since you started experiencing this lack of oil pressure ? It's one of the least expensive things to try .
I have, didn’t see anything out of the ordinary. Tested with a magnet too. I also cut the filter open and didn’t see any particulates.
Old 06-13-2024, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by MikeGyver
As far as plugging the inlet screen, have you ever overheated the engine? It doesn't take long to make tar that will fall off the crankcase walls or elsewhere later and plug the inlet.
as far as I know, the motor hasn’t been overheated though I’m not sure what I would be looking for to figure that out. I’ve owned it since roughly 135k miles
Old 06-13-2024, 02:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 379 Likes on 291 Posts

as @strutaeng mentioned, put a mechanical gauge on it and confirm its not a bad sensor.
The following 2 users liked this post by wretched73:
Marky Dissod (06-16-2024), strutaeng (06-13-2024)

Quick Reply: No oil pressure in my L59 5.3