Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

No Overdrive?!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 02:57 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Overdrive?!?

Ok so i just got my engine to start and stay running after fighting the PCM for a night (battery woes)

So the transmission has 12quarts of fluid in it, TC was filled prior to installation. (Service Manual states 11 Quarts for a overhaul, i went with 1 extra to count for the cooler plus whatever i spilled during the Torque Converter installation.

So, i have Second Gear, First Gear, and Third Gear (as long as i manually shift to 1 or 2) Oh and i have reverse too...

But if i shift in to 4th, it just sit there and the engine revs and i go no-where.

So any ideas as to what i screwed up lol.
Old 06-24-2006, 04:29 PM
TECH Addict

that same thing happened to my friend's 2nd gear in his firebird... but that was in a 6-speed car, all it was is he blew the gear out. Seems hard to blow out 4th gear though...
Old 06-24-2006, 05:25 PM
TECH Regular

Ok well... i've been staring at the line pressure charts in my service manual. And suspect i got a nice airlock in the Drive fluid lines. Since 3,2,1,R work, that means all the clutches themselves are good. But the 4th gear servo probably has air in it too.

But we'll see, i would have thought all the air would have gotten out by now. (drove for about 5 miles to the gas station and back, shifting manually.) The automatic 3-2 kickdown just freerev's so again probably air...
Old 06-24-2006, 08:40 PM
TECH Regular

Just a random thought here. Whould a mis-adjusted Park/Neutral switch cause shifting problems?

Then again the problem could still be PCM related, as it might be damaged. Like when my headlights come on, both automatic and manually, my E-fans start and cause a P1815 and Reduced Engine Power. So either i got a short in the fan harness or my PCM is on drugs. Either way, i get to play electrician tomorrow...
Old 06-25-2006, 12:30 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by RoninsDenali
Just a random thought here. Whould a mis-adjusted Park/Neutral switch cause shifting problems?

Then again the problem could still be PCM related, as it might be damaged. Like when my headlights come on, both automatic and manually, my E-fans start and cause a P1815 and Reduced Engine Power. So either i got a short in the fan harness or my PCM is on drugs. Either way, i get to play electrician tomorrow...
i would look into your first statement. if it got damaged during the removal or install, it will throw it all off. go through all the gears and make sure they match with your gear indicator.
Old 06-25-2006, 01:18 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by bluecajun5.3
i would look into your first statement. if it got damaged during the removal or install, it will throw it all off. go through all the gears and make sure they match with your gear indicator.

Well i know the switch itself is ok... Its brand new. (The connectors we're fuzed to the old one and i destroyed it removing the connectors, which are fine btw)

I'll check it out as soon as the rain goes away. But im still betting on my PCM being screwed. As my E-Fans (nelson harness) turn on when i turn my headlights on And as soon as my headlight come on, BOOM P1518, throttle closes and engine no worky. So i think im gonna get a new PCM ordered tomorrow. Besides, the way i constantly adjust things, i think keeping a spare PCM on hand isnt a bad thing lol.

Not to mention i have a few more "bad PCM" symptoms.

- No Trans Shaft RPM data (stays at zero)
- Headlight screwy thingie.
- It lost linkup with the BCM for a while, took me about 2 hours to get it to relink.
- "Service Stability" message as soon as the vehicle starts to roll. (No EBCM data probably)
- Continuing P1518 problems at random, inspected the TAC wiring and all is OK. (Actually i followed the GM diagnosis procedure, and i'm actually lead to the step where it says "replace PCM")
Old 06-25-2006, 01:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It sounds like the sprag is installed backwards.

If you have to manually go to first to get first then the only thing holding first is the overrun clutches because the sprag isn't helping.
Old 06-25-2006, 02:00 PM
TECH Regular

Damn, you might be right. I remember i was having trouble figuring out which way to install the sprag. I thought i was right. But having read what you said, i just looked at the fluid diagrams and yea. No overrun clutch in manual 3rd or Drive range.

Damn lol, oh well im getting to the point i can get that trans in and out without too much effort...
Old 06-25-2006, 02:21 PM
TECH Regular

Just took a look at the assembly procedure for the sprag... Oh yea, its in backwards

I misinterpreted the description on how it was supposed to rotate. (Sungear = Counterclockwise, not the sprag gear.) Oh well, i'll drop the trans tomorrow, and fix it. It wont be too bad i got it down to getting the trans in and out to under an hour.
Old 06-25-2006, 03:40 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At least you are gaining good experience dropping that baby Always gotta look at the bright side.

Quick Reply: No Overdrive?!?