Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

no reverse first or forth, sun shell?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 09:13 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default no reverse first or forth, sun shell?

i'm about to yank out the trans to send it off. reverse free revs, it skips right over second gear and to go to 3rd from first and it won't go into 4th at all. even if i command it will hpt logger.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the sun shell allows you to have reverse, 2nd and 4th, so of all these are gone its most likely the issue. The beast sunshell is a good fix.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, with those mods the OP has, do a 80e swap man. Perfect example a LEVEL 7 60e will not hold in these type of vehicles. My 2cents
Old 10-22-2011, 12:17 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If it's a broken shell, PM me a pic of it.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:55 AM
12 Second Truck Club

I ment 2nd not first. I figured it was the shell. Well crap I guess.

You can call 80e all you guys want. But let me tell you a bit about this Trans. It has had the torture of a life time. This truck make alot of power 650ish before I messed with the boost controller last time. That's estimted. By weight and quarter mile times. It much faster than that now. I towed a 30' camper up a nice grade back home and it took it all the way. It never hesitated or complained. Just kept going. 100* heat and it never got over 170. I play in the sand and mud. It's broken two rear axles and a Detroit locker not to mention the tcase chain is now stretched out to where it slips under high boost launches on the street. And I torture it everyday. I have a 30min drive to work and I stomp on it at least twice everytime. Every day I get in the truck it feels like the first. So it gets treated as such. And the Tahoe is not light, at 6020lbs with just me in it it's a fat cow rolling on factory 20's. Even at the race track. . Hell I raced a ricer the other day with my 12' trailer behind me. That dude didn't know what to do.

Do I need a 80e. Probably. But they break too. And if it can be broken my wife can break it. Right now I have to leave on deployment soon and I don't have the time or the means to do it.

Last edited by TURBHOE; 10-22-2011 at 07:16 AM.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:06 AM
12 Second Truck Club

And I didn't mean for any of that to sound rude. I just think that this particular 60e is under rated. In a reg cab short bed there would be no since in a 80e if you were around 550-650 wheel. It does the job very very well. Flt got there **** together on this one, but of course that my opinion and Andy my say different. But for what I have put this through in the past 2-2.5 years it been amazing. Not to mention there is a new shell on the market that took over for the beast shell it should be even better. One day I will do a 80e and this will go into another lighter project but until then Ill run the lvl 7.

You'll have to excuse my phone if there are missing letters. It's bein laggy today and I don't have time to edit.

Last edited by TURBHOE; 10-22-2011 at 07:18 AM.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:01 AM
FormerVendor

What a terrific example of the punishment a 60E can take when it was built by the right guy. A well build planned and executed build on a 60 series transmission will yield excellent results for years.

Where they get a bum rap is when builders do not understand what they are doing, take short cuts, do not spend the money to do the job right when they have it apart. Then they turn around and sell them at a cut-rate price in order to get volume up and cash flow going strong and flood the market with junk *** trannys that don't have a chance in hell of living for any reasonable period of time.

Go ahead, ask me how I know! LOL.....

g
Old 10-22-2011, 09:00 AM
12 Second Truck Club

I agree! For what it's done I'm happy. Not happy it broke but I mean come on. I tortured it.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:21 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Well the pan and fluid were very very clean. So sound like sunshell. No clutch material what so ever.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:21 PM
TECH Junkie

yeah you broke hard parts..... not clutches... ^^ dont act too too surprised..

And I know it was addressed, but honestly, if you are keeping the truck, move to an 80.

Quick Reply: no reverse first or forth, sun shell?