Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Not So New Transmission idea (combo of old ideas)

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 04:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Not So New Transmission idea (combo of old ideas)

Alright, so I've been contemplating how we can deal with the issue of wanting performance oriented trucks, and still wanting decent gas mileage. On one hand, you worry about getting a shorter rear gear combo for acceleration, on the other you worry about the affects on MPG. Then there are the modifications we make to our engines that elicit more fuel consumption (cams, increasing displacement, yada yada.....) for a given manifold vacuum (read engine load) situation. These mods aren't something we can get around, because at a certain speed, the engine will be rotating at a certain RPM, and have a varying vacuum signal depending on cruising situation (hills, wind, towing).

So, after thinking about all this, and seeing how with the 6L80E there are 2 over-driven "gears", I came up with an idea. GM could come out with an Automatic transmission similar to the 6L80E in it's 1:1 and up ratios, but use a CVT system for it's over-driven gear. This would allow them to program it to monitor engine load and vehicle speed to find the best "range" to be in for the current operation. Since I would be willing to bet most of us here would detest having a CVT ONLY, I propose this as a better solution. I'm talking about a CVT that could go lower than the 6l80E's current 6th gear, as a benefit in certain circumstances to highway low load cruising. I would also propose that the CVT could be programed to mimic set gear ratios similar to a regular automatic transmission, which might be helpful for certain driving situations. The mode that the transmission would be in should be user selectable, similar to an O/D on/off button of old, except this would be O/D - ADP (adaptive ratio) or O/D - SET (set ratio). I believe this would come close to being the best solution for transferring rotational movement to the wheels.

Sorry about the novel, just had to get an idea out of my head. And GM, if you want to use my idea contact me. Yeah right, like that would ever happen.

Last edited by ForcedTQ; 03-28-2010 at 04:19 PM.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't read too far into this when I thought CVT, but later u said that. Ya know GM had a similiar idea w/. convertors yrs ago?
I liked diplomatic spin, "close to being the best solution for transferring rotational movement to the wheels."

Oh ya, when GM contacts u on this idea, let me know. I wouldn't hold your breathe on a call tho.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by fastnblu
Oh ya, when GM contacts u on this idea, let me know. I wouldn't hold your breathe on a call tho.
Yeah, that part of the post was meant as pure Sarcasm.

Ok, maybe it wasn't funny.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know, I'm the same way.
Do u know the convertor idea I'm referring to that ws used some time ago?