Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

NP246 Failure

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 08:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NP246 Failure

Hey guys, i've been hanging around for awhile and finally decided to make an account. anyways, onto the problem.
I've got an 03 chevy silverado 1500 z71 5.3/auto/NP246, and replaced the transfer case back in july with a reman, and just put in a transmission from a wrecked truck about a month ago, after i replaced the transmission i didn't have a shift motor on the transfer case for a little bit and didn't have any issues for awhile but after i replaced the transmission it started coming out of gear into neutral and so i finally got a new motor for it and it was fine for about a week and then it did it again. I thought it just popped out so i tried changing from 2wd to 4wd and back and still nothing happened, wouldn't move. so I ended up towing it home. Well I got the shift motor pulled and tried manually shifting it and it just turned freely so I knew something was up. took the transfer case out and got it tore apart to find quite a bit of metal shavings and chunks of some kind of ring? not sure what it is, scattered throughout it. So I started searching for rebuild kits and found one for cheap and went back to my workbench to look at the T-case again to check what all I would need and realized that my output shaft had snapped! I hadn't realized it before until I looked closer. It snapped in-between the clutch pack and pump. Anyone else had one snap like this? I could't find any post about it. Anyways, What my question is, is, other than the output shaft, what all else should i replace? Will be posting pics in just a moment. Thanks!
Old 12-07-2015, 04:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Your rebuild kit better have everything. Chunks of metal can kill all sorts of things.

I'd look for a new transfer case and refresh with the kit you bought.