Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Official A4 to M6 (T-56) Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 04:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rafedial
truck is in sig...
I would guess it's making 320-340 rwhp. hauling around the pig weight of the ECSB (now 2WD) and 3.73's, the LS7 clutch hasn't skipped a beat. 5000 miles since T56 install, NO problems at all. I DO expect to replace clutches much more often than a stock F-body car.

Cody
how is driving the truck with the 3.73s and t56?
Old 11-03-2008, 05:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JakeBrakeIH
Well, I would change them to at least 4.56:1, rpms are too low to even use 6th on highway. Truck will go prob 50 in first, making it real sluggish from a stop. The rear gears would solve ALL my issues.

Other than that I love it!!!
Noticed at least a solid 1 mpg difference. I changed some engine parts at the same time as the T56 and need to work on the tune. After that I expect 2mpg gain overall, possibly 3. With these gas prices dropping, who cares about mileage though!!!
Old 11-03-2008, 07:22 PM
Launching!

Also would like to add that removing the weight of the 4L60E/Transfer case and axles, minus auto drivetrain loss, I bet I gained 10-20 rwhp and .1 or .2 in the quarter with the t56. Of course I don't have data to support that but my numbers are conservative.

Potential NBS 1500 T56 Weaknesses:
1. Not sure on curb weight of various NBS trucks versus the T56 internal/case strength. Boom? (why I went with stronger GTO M12 T56 Trans)
2. Clutch. If I had any more power/weight I would begin to worry about this LS7 clutch. But for the money you can't beat it.

True test of longevity has just begun.....I will post up when/if I have a problem, and at 10,000 miles with T56.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rafedial
Also would like to add that removing the weight of the 4L60E/Transfer case and axles, minus auto drivetrain loss, I bet I gained 10-20 rwhp and .1 or .2 in the quarter with the t56. Of course I don't have data to support that but my numbers are conservative.

Potential NBS 1500 T56 Weaknesses:
1. Not sure on curb weight of various NBS trucks versus the T56 internal/case strength. Boom? (why I went with stronger GTO M12 T56 Trans)
2. Clutch. If I had any more power/weight I would begin to worry about this LS7 clutch. But for the money you can't beat it.

True test of longevity has just begun.....I will post up when/if I have a problem, and at 10,000 miles with T56.
well im glad to hear that it is drivable atleast...i also went with the gto trans as well but seeing Im putting a turbo on my truck, ive been reading that the turbo motors liked to be 'lugged' at little bit, so i dont know what gears im going to run, so for now im just gonna stick with 3.73s and see how it is...

also, the link u have posted for the f-body shifter cup is deleted, i got a f-body shifter but gears 1,3,5, and R dont engage all the way...so i need to get the cup you mentioned...if you can post another link or have pics on what to change that would help...thanks!
Old 11-03-2008, 07:43 PM
Launching!

well im glad to hear that it is drivable atleast...i also went with the gto trans as well but seeing Im putting a turbo on my truck, ive been reading that the turbo motors liked to be 'lugged' at little bit, so i dont know what gears im going to run, so for now im just gonna stick with 3.73s and see how it is...

also, the link u have posted for the f-body shifter cup is deleted, i got a f-body shifter but gears 1,3,5, and R dont engage all the way...so i need to get the cup you mentioned...if you can post another link or have pics on what to change that would help...thanks!
TheGearBox.org

(734)793-0727

You will need Part# 1386-098-016 Shifter offset lever (post #563)
and the shifter offset bushing Part #1352-127-009. I paid about $30 shipped. Got it in 2 business days. Good People!

As far as it not going all gears with F-body shifter on GTO trans. I had the same problem until I ordered the parts above.

INSTALLATION
1. Remove GTO Shifter assembly. 2. Alright to remove GTO offset lever (where the circular part of the shifter sits, connected to shift rail) you need to take a punch and gently knock the ROLL Pin out through the bottom. 3. Remove offset lever. 4. Replace with F-body offset lever, replace roll pin. DONE! SHIFT!!!

Cody
Old 12-01-2008, 06:30 PM
Staging Lane

After reading..and reading....i am only a few days away from my swap and im having a really tough time trying to decide on what gears to go with...i have an 02' silverado, full bolt on, 4.8 w/ radix....any input from you guys who have completed this swap and figured it out?
Old 12-01-2008, 11:18 PM
Staging Lane

HELP me please!
Old 12-01-2008, 11:34 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by cccharged
After reading..and reading....i am only a few days away from my swap and im having a really tough time trying to decide on what gears to go with...i have an 02' silverado, full bolt on, 4.8 w/ radix....any input from you guys who have completed this swap and figured it out?
You may want to talk to TurboGibbs, he is a member here who has done the T56 swap and a rear gear change. He has the 5.13:1 gears.

My truck is listed in sig. I did not change rear gears (3.73:1). When I get around to it I will probably go with a 4.56:1 and a TrueTrac.

Ohh, 5,000 miles on my T56 swap and still running strong!!! No problems yet.

Good luck with your build.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:19 PM
Staging Lane

Well since my truck is a DD right now i dont want to much...after reading ALOT i think the best all around gear would be the 4.30's...?..IMO...i understand first gear is sluggish with 3.73's and sixth gear would hardly be used...and i think the 4.56 might be a little much for what im looking for as of right now..??
Old 12-02-2008, 05:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cccharged
Well since my truck is a DD right now i dont want to much...after reading ALOT i think the best all around gear would be the 4.30's...?..IMO...i understand first gear is sluggish with 3.73's and sixth gear would hardly be used...and i think the 4.56 might be a little much for what im looking for as of right now..??
i think 4.56s would be the lowest i would go, more like 4.88s would be good...i mean your gonna have a double overdrive...your not gonna be turning a lot of rpms in 6th gear so might as well take atvantage of lower gear ratio for 1st gear...just my opinion tho

Quick Reply: Official A4 to M6 (T-56) Thread!