Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Official A4 to M6 (T-56) Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 12:52 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sensors on t56

can any one help i just got done putting in my t56 in, i had a 5 speed from factory truck is a 2000, the sensors are to far for cunnections the one next to shifter and the one next to out put shaft can i just cut and make longer and if so what size wire do i use. and if i need diffrent connections let me know and part numbers would help very much. or a way to adapt them. pm me
Old 12-02-2009, 10:19 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got done relocating the entire wire harness from "over" the engine to "behind" the engine (so I cut/extended the wires you need to extend).

I used 18gauge for all the lengthening because I had a 500’ roll of it free. If you check the manual 95% of the wires are 20gauge, but going to larger diameter wire is almost never an issue.

Make sure you shrink wrap the connections.
Old 12-02-2009, 02:56 PM
Teching In

Default 5m to 6m

thanks man will try this weekend, no adaptors are needed?
Old 12-02-2009, 03:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by joelm86
no adaptors are needed?
adapters for what?
Old 12-02-2009, 06:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

no adapters should be necessary cause all you're doing is extending the existing wires. you're still using the stock connectors just with longer wires on them.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:50 PM
Teching In

Default t56

cool thanks guys
Old 12-05-2009, 01:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have done the t56 swap in my 99 silverado.

Here is what I started with. I started with a 99 silverado with a 4.8 and 5 speed with 3.42 gears.

I installed a 01 lq4 and put a 125 shot of NOS on it as well as set of long tube headers from pacesetter. We got Speartech to provide a computer for us.

I installed some Silverado SS 20 inch wheels with 275 45's on them.

I left and still have the 3.42 gears in the rearend.

The truck already had a 5 speed in it, so the pedals and other things were already there.

First, we took out the interior. We removed center seat. This piece just sat in the truck and could be easily taken out once we removed the factory seats.

We then cleaned up and weld up the factory 5 speed hole.

When then installed a 02 slave cylinder from a Camaro. We used a 06 corvette flywheel, clutch, and pressure plate.

We then installed a t56 from a 05 GTO. It has a 2.97 first gear instead of the 2.66 first gear that is in the Camaro. The GTO tranny has some better interal parts and is somewhat stronger. The GTO tranny is the same as the Corvette tranny also.

We did not do the drill mod.

We installed the tranny and noticed that the 01 lq4 starter would not work and went with a 05 GTO starter.

We measured and cut a new small hole for the shifter.

We installed a B & M Ripper shifter and a new shifter cup so we could run a Camaro shifter. The GTO shifter would of seat back a little more. The Camaro shifter is a good 3 inches forward from the GTO shifter. The B & M Ripper shifter Handle is about 7 to 8 inches long. I got a nice billet **** that is fairly tall to provide some longer length for the shifter and installed it. With this shifter you have to reach a little down as it is made for a car. Hurst does have a internal rail shifter for this tranny which you can change the handle on. Hurst has been bought by B & M by the way. I believe about a 14 inch tall shifter would be about right in this truck.

The shifter came up right where the cup holders would of been on the center seat section.

Early threads have people using a console out of another vehicle. I currently have no console just two seats. Fabbing up a nice shifter boot from scratch.

The crossmember had to be modified a little. Did some custom welding to it so the tranny would seat right. Had to use a shorten driveshaft as well. I believe one out oa automatic 99 silverado.

All the wiring for the tranny was just a plug and play, no fabbing up of wiring.

My cruise does work, however, I'm still having issues with speedometer calibration and my ABS and brake lights are on.

The 3.42 gears are not to bad. You have to feather the clutch a little, but you get use to it.

I'm currently tuning it to get the lights off and probably will install more gear like a 4.10 or 4.56. Might go higher since I do alot of highway driving and not alot of towing. Only towing I go is my chevelle to the track occasionaly.

Fairly a straight forward swap if you read this thread and do the homework.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:36 PM
Launching!

is there a way to test the VSS (vehicle speed sensor)?

I plugged the connecter from the auto into my t-56 and it does not read my speed.

is it possible that it requires other wires to be hooked together?

is there a easy way to test the vss?

thanks,
Keith
Old 12-07-2009, 09:04 PM
TECH Veteran

a vss is one of those "either it works or it doesn't" kind of things.

is it reading wrong or not at all? t56s and A4s have different tooth counts (will read wrong)

did you check your fuses?

if it truly is "dead" (no signal) then it has to either be a bad sensor or a bad PCM...no other way around it...
Old 12-09-2009, 12:01 PM
Formerly darynC-10/23/10

my speed spensor works 95% of the time.. im leaning toward a bad sensor... when the speedo doesnt work. it pulls some engine power , kinda like limp mode

Quick Reply: Official A4 to M6 (T-56) Thread!