Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Official A4 to M6 (T-56) Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 08:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jkade72
Damn what a lot of reading Ok guys, I have a 06 CC. I have a 04 GTO t56 laying around I want to put in my CC. This is my daily and I do (not very often)tow less than 5000lbs with it. The rear end needs built right now as it whines like ****. 4:56's and a trutrac is what I am thinking?

I guess the real question is will I be happy if I do the following. I just want to make my daily driver a little more fun to drive and still be able to use it as a truck when needed. Here are the plans.

It has a 5.3 and I want to do the following: Cam, headers, exhaust, tune, t56, gears, locker. I would love to put a lq9 in it but I don't have the funds for that right now but I intend on doing a motor swap down the road and put the 5.3 in my 86 k10.

Will it be worth it?

Thanks guys for all the info in this thread!!!!
Sounds like a good plan to me. I would go with at least 4.88 rear gears if not 5.13s with a cc. I have the same trans in my 2000 with 4.88 gears and its really fun. I havnt put many miles on it but I wouldnt be happy with 4.56s.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:10 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by xx_ED_xx
read previous post about abs and speedo cruise control issues
Thanks man...Read through...still seems a little like Vodoo....but there's like 20 wires for the whole trans...I'm sure I can figure it out...or just swap reluctor wheels like you did.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jordan927
Thanks man...Read through...still seems a little like Vodoo....but there's like 20 wires for the whole trans...I'm sure I can figure it out...or just swap reluctor wheels like you did.
Yeah the wiring isnt the issue. thats cake
its the reluctor count i think the stock t56 is like 17 tooth and the one you need is like 42 tooth. So tick modified a 4l60 e gear to fit my viper shaft. let you know hopefully in a few months if it works
Old 06-29-2010, 06:08 PM
TECH Addict

I am trying to upgrade the hydraulics, I keep seeing updated ls1 slave, i seen something about a drill mod, but i think i am going to just update the line. what other upgrades are available for the trucks. anyone have issues with masters?
Old 06-29-2010, 09:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am trying to upgrade the hydraulics, I keep seeing updated ls1 slave, i seen something about a drill mod, but i think i am going to just update the line. what other upgrades are available for the trucks. anyone have issues with masters?
- there are no upgrades for the factory master (that I know of)
- the drill mod is a restricted orifice in the f-body line (everything I read points to the trucks not having this small orifice)
- the upgraded slave cylinder is the 2001-2002 f-body slave which will work in the trucks but requires a line change
Old 06-29-2010, 09:37 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks, yeah i currently have a ls slave in it when my plastic stock one went out. I think i will upgrade the line new 02 slave and remote bleeder. sounds like about all i can do
Old 06-29-2010, 10:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks, yeah i currently have a ls slave in it when my plastic stock one went out. I think i will upgrade the line new 02 slave and remote bleeder. sounds like about all i can do
I'm about to do this swap on my truck but I'm going to run a wilwood master cylinder on mine. To do this, I'm making a metal plate to bolt to the firewall that will then allow me to mount the master cylinder. I'll then modify the factory master pushrod to thread onto the wilwood shaft. This will give me a heavy duty aluminum master that can not break out.

Unfortunately unless you can make something up like I'm doing, you are stuck with the factory master.

Why on earth GM ever got the bright idea to make an all plastic clutch pedal assembly and master, I'll never agree with. I have seen several threads about people doing A4-to-t56 swaps in the OBS (mid-80s to 99) trucks and they all had the old metal pedal assembly. Why oh why can't companies leave perfectly good things alone.
Old 07-04-2010, 01:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

guys, ive broken 2 plastic pedals, I try to keep my feet soft and hard at the same time, I know I'm only hurting the tranny so the plastic piece won't break again.
would replacing the whole pedal assembly be easy. i guess you could just throw in an old chevy assembly or an aftermarket wilwood. also, the master cylinder on the old 8.1 and 6.6 6 speeds were different. i dont know if they are worth looking at.
Tick Performance offered to make something if 50 guys are willing to buy it.
thanks

Last edited by sowaidi; 07-04-2010 at 01:57 PM.
Old 07-04-2010, 05:27 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by sowaidi
guys, ive broken 2 plastic pedals, I try to keep my feet soft and hard at the same time, I know I'm only hurting the tranny so the plastic piece won't break again.
would replacing the whole pedal assembly be easy. i guess you could just throw in an old chevy assembly or an aftermarket wilwood. also, the master cylinder on the old 8.1 and 6.6 6 speeds were different. i dont know if they are worth looking at.
Tick Performance offered to make something if 50 guys are willing to buy it.
thanks
Hmm, I am actually taking my truck there to have them do the swap just in case there is an issue. But my swap is a tad bit different; truck was a 4.3 5 speed truck. Sold the 4.3 and now currently has an 8.1. Bought a viper shaft cryo rem polished face plated ls1 trans from them. New motor is going to make some serious power so I bought the best I figured I could buy out of a t56, so now I am trying to get my clutch issues figured out, down to advance clutches and rps. Funny thing was Joey said the output shaft for the 5 speed was bigger than the viper output shaft. He ended up using a 4l60 e gear and boring the hole bigger on the gear to fit the viper shaft. But at least I have the right tooth count for the speedo. Hopefully in Oct when I take leave I will have a detailed report on how to go from 5 to 6 and have everything work right.
Old 07-05-2010, 02:24 AM
Formerly darynC-10/23/10

hell id make a custom steel pedal if 15 guys were interested. no one would be able to break it too!!!! ive made drawings on a pedal that i wanted to make. it was fully adjustable too.

Quick Reply: Official A4 to M6 (T-56) Thread!