Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Which one would you take (trans)

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 01:43 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vanillagorilla
That's just what gmpartsdirect.com says. I would trust that site as far as I could throw it. An FLT level 5 is a reman...so that must be crap too?!? Talk to zippy, he will set you guys straight on that part # and the 70E.

A 70E with a shift kit and servos will take a 5500lb truck well into the 12's. Look around (i.e. not on this site) and you will see SS's with relatively stock 65E's doing just that.
I bow in your presence, Obi Wan.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:41 AM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So wait....are you guys fairly confident that a 70E with shift kit and servos would suit me fine at 600hp? I can do this for a hell of a lot less $$ than the 80E conversion.

I know a lot of you say that the 60, 65, and 70 can't be that great because they are all the same design, but how much of that is just extrapolation of what you know about the case size and how much of it is based on technical knowledge?
Old 12-29-2005, 03:46 AM
High on diesel fumes

Zippy seems to know his ****, and his response was

"in stock form the 70E will take 400hp rather easily with propper trans programming. a 70E with a propperly done shift kit including servo's with propper trans programming could easily take 600hp. they are a very well built trans right from the factory. trust me, GM spent some time and research in building the 70E."
Old 12-29-2005, 09:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by thunder550
Zippy seems to know his ****, and his response was

"in stock form the 70E will take 400hp rather easily with propper trans programming. a 70E with a propperly done shift kit including servo's with propper trans programming could easily take 600hp. they are a very well built trans right from the factory. trust me, GM spent some time and research in building the 70E."
That's interesting because I have yet to find anyone who can tell me what the differences are between the 65E and the 70E. No digs on zippy because the man certainly knows his stuff, but at the end of the day the parts that are in the 70E are still the same basic parts that are in the 65E, 60E, and 700R4. They may be 'heavy duty' or heat treated or cryogenically frozen or thrust through a flux capacitor or whatever, but I don't see how the main problems with 700R4 design could have been overcome, since there could be very few (if any) size differences on the basic components. At the end of the day, everything still has to fit inside a 4L60E case.

Also, please don't interpret my skepticism with a desire to see the 4L70E fail, au contrare, I would love to see it succeed where the 4l60E/65E has failed. I just don't see how any significant changes could have been made while still keeping stock component dimensions and fitting inside the original case. Until I find out exactly what changes have been made between the 4L65E and the 4L70E, I will remain skeptical.

I won't belabor the point, it seems there are a few people who know a lot more than I do, so let's just see what happens once some people get this transmission into their vehicles and put some power behind it. That will be the true test.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Naked AV
That's interesting because I have yet to find anyone who can tell me what the differences are between the 65E and the 70E. No digs on zippy because the man certainly knows his stuff, but at the end of the day the parts that are in the 70E are still the same basic parts that are in the 65E, 60E, and 700R4. They may be 'heavy duty' or heat treated or cryogenically frozen or thrust through a flux capacitor or whatever, but I don't see how the main problems with 700R4 design could have been overcome, since there could be very few (if any) size differences on the basic components. At the end of the day, everything still has to fit inside a 4L60E case.

Also, please don't interpret my skepticism with a desire to see the 4L70E fail, au contrare, I would love to see it succeed where the 4l60E/65E has failed. I just don't see how any significant changes could have been made while still keeping stock component dimensions and fitting inside the original case. Until I find out exactly what changes have been made between the 4L65E and the 4L70E, I will remain skeptical.

I won't belabor the point, it seems there are a few people who know a lot more than I do, so let's just see what happens once some people get this transmission into their vehicles and put some power behind it. That will be the true test.

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...43&postcount=2
Old 12-29-2005, 10:34 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Still a 65e dressed up a bit IMO. Do what you want to thunder but the fact remains everyone making serious power and make it last have either went to an 80e or gotten the flp level 5 I have only heard of two of those breaking. An 80e and conversion would cost baout the same as an flp level 5. My stance on teh 70e is due to the family of trans it is coming out of and I feel the exact same as naked. Do what you must but in less than two years you will be pulling the shift kit and servo 70e out to fix it IMHO.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:01 AM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

80e would be my choice. Just a much better transmission all-together and stronger.

If cost is a concern, then the choice might just be a HD 60/65/70e.

Last edited by moregrip; 12-29-2005 at 12:03 PM.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:12 AM
How do I change this text

The only thing I don't like with the 80e is the lower overdrive ratio, I can't tell a big differents with first gear as a few have said is too high. I think the stall helps, and A VERY good trans tune is a must. Go with the 80e and be done.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:58 AM
hog
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilde Racing
The only thing I don't like with the 80e is the lower overdrive ratio, I can't tell a big differents with first gear as a few have said is too high. I think the stall helps, and A VERY good trans tune is a must. Go with the 80e and be done.
Yeah the 80e runs the .075:1 OD while the 700/60e/65e/70e runs the .70:1 OD ratio, this equates to a cruise rpm difference of 150rpm or a tad under 5mph with a 3.73 gear and 30" tires.
there is a difference, but it isnt huge. I would way rather have the closer gear ratios of the 80e/85e to keep the engine from dropping so much rpm at the shifts, with a higher stall TC, the rpm drop is smaller anyways.

peace
Hog
Old 12-29-2005, 12:49 PM
High on diesel fumes

Wow seems like this is a sensitive subject

I don't mean to keep flip-flopping, but I want to make the best decision that I possibly can, so thanks everyone for continuing to answer my questions even if I repeat them from time to time.

Quick Reply: Which one would you take (trans)