Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Opinion's on front drop coil springs

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 10:52 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinion's on front drop coil springs

I know there are a few diffrent opinion's on this subject to use ONLY drop coil springs in the front. Im looking to go to a 3/4 drop on my 06 Crew Cab and the simple and cheapest way is to use front coil springs like the Belltech 3" springs and use a Belltech shock and i will be using a Belltech rear 4" rear flip kit that they offer. But im not 100% sure on what to use on the front. I talked to a local shop and they told me i never will get the front end aligned corectly with just springs. I know my other choices are LCA's and Spindals. The spindals involve alot of work which i can do, and the LCA's a little easier. Just looking for some feed back!!
Old 01-29-2006, 01:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Well i also have an 06 crewcab and im about to lower mine too. Why do you want to go 3/4? You can go 2/4 or 3/5 and it will sit level. The raked look on a big truck like that wont look as good as if it was completely level.

I originally wanted to run a 4/6 but in order to do that on my 22's with my nitto 265/40/22's, i would need to sell the tires i have and buy 265/35/22's which would be expensive since the tires i have are almost brand new. I've been thinking about doing it but since its a daily driver, id like to leave a little more rubber around the rims so i wont mess them up on pot holes and bumps and stuff in the road. My buddy has an 06 crewcab with a 4/6 and its too low. He drags his truck on speedbumps, driveways etc, all the time. Not really what i want for my daily driver. I was then going to go 2/4 but it just doesnt look low enough for me. I have finally decided to run a 3/5. I can keep the tires i have and the 3/5 will give me a little more clearance than the 4/6 so i wont scrape on every little bump.

I guess the point of all of this is to let you know what i will be using to get the drop and that you should run a 3/5 too.

Im using all mcgaughys parts. 2" spindles and 1" coils in the front and the 5" flip kit in the rear. Im going to notch the frame and run doetch tech shocks and helper bags incase i need to haul something.

Just do a 3/5!!
Old 01-29-2006, 07:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied02
Well i also have an 06 crewcab and im about to lower mine too. Why do you want to go 3/4? You can go 2/4 or 3/5 and it will sit level. The raked look on a big truck like that wont look as good as if it was completely level.

I originally wanted to run a 4/6 but in order to do that on my 22's with my nitto 265/40/22's, i would need to sell the tires i have and buy 265/35/22's which would be expensive since the tires i have are almost brand new. I've been thinking about doing it but since its a daily driver, id like to leave a little more rubber around the rims so i wont mess them up on pot holes and bumps and stuff in the road. My buddy has an 06 crewcab with a 4/6 and its too low. He drags his truck on speedbumps, driveways etc, all the time. Not really what i want for my daily driver. I was then going to go 2/4 but it just doesnt look low enough for me. I have finally decided to run a 3/5. I can keep the tires i have and the 3/5 will give me a little more clearance than the 4/6 so i wont scrape on every little bump.

I guess the point of all of this is to let you know what i will be using to get the drop and that you should run a 3/5 too.

Im using all mcgaughys parts. 2" spindles and 1" coils in the front and the 5" flip kit in the rear. Im going to notch the frame and run doetch tech shocks and helper bags incase i need to haul something.

Just do a 3/5!!
Sound like you got a plan and a good one at that what are all of those parts going to cost you and where are you buying them from?
Old 01-29-2006, 08:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Im buying the parts directly from mcgaughys. Well actually, it says directly from mcgaughys but when you call, they give you a warehouse number to call to order from them instead.

I already have the helper bags so i wont need to buy those but i will need to buy the actual kit which comes with spindles, 1" coils, flip kit, notch and the shocks. It will be about 700 total. You can get the number off the mcgaughys website. They dont carry those shocks though so ill be buying the shocks from somewhere else.

The kit is 535.00 and the shocks are 40 bucks each. The most expensive part of the kit is the spindles so if you wanted to go with 3" coils, it would be much cheaper but your angles would be nowhere near as acurate as if you used LCA's or spindles. Spindles are the best cause they dont change any angles at all and alignment is always perfect with them. LCA's are good too. Nice thing about them is that you can run both your 16" stockies or 20's, 22's etc. With the mcgaughys spindles, you can only run 17" or bigger unless you specifically buy the spindle for running 16" wheels but for some reason, they are not as good. I dont remember why exactly but i know they are much harder in install cause you have to flip your upper balljoint or somthing to make them fit. The 17"+ spindles are a direct swap.

It gonna cost more but it would be much better for your truck in the long run if you just save the money and get spindles. Keep in mind also that mcgaughys is more expensive than alot of other kits but they have nothing but quality parts. DJM i have been told is also a very good kit and it is cheaper but about 100 bucks but im not sure how much of a quality difference there is.
Old 01-29-2006, 09:10 PM
On The Tree

Im buying the parts directly from mcgaughys. Well actually, it says directly from mcgaughys but when you call, they give you a warehouse number to call to order from them instead.

I already have the helper bags so i wont need to buy those but i will need to buy the actual kit which comes with spindles, 1" coils, flip kit, notch and the shocks. It will be about 700 total. You can get the number off the mcgaughys website. They dont carry those shocks though so ill be buying the shocks from somewhere else.

The kit is 535.00 and the shocks are 40 bucks each. The most expensive part of the kit is the spindles so if you wanted to go with 3" coils, it would be much cheaper but your angles would be nowhere near as acurate as if you used LCA's or spindles. Spindles are the best cause they dont change any angles at all and alignment is always perfect with them. LCA's are good too. Nice thing about them is that you can run both your 16" stockies or 20's, 22's etc. With the mcgaughys spindles, you can only run 17" or bigger unless you specifically buy the spindle for running 16" wheels but for some reason, they are not as good. I dont remember why exactly but i know they are much harder in install cause you have to flip your upper balljoint or somthing to make them fit. The 17"+ spindles are a direct swap.

It gonna cost more but it would be much better for your truck in the long run if you just save the money and get spindles. Keep in mind also that mcgaughys is more expensive than alot of other kits but they have nothing but quality parts. DJM i have been told is also a very good kit and it is cheaper but about 100 bucks but im not sure how much of a quality difference there is.
I called Mcgaughys last week and he told me that 4/6 is too low for a crew cab in his opinion, he would go with a 2/4 or a 3/5 he did give me a part # W9924DT but i can not remeber exactly what drop it was tho...price 625.00$
Old 01-30-2006, 01:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Yea the 4/6 is way too low. The 3/5 may even be pushin it if you gotta go through rough roads or up and down driveways all the time. 3/5 max on a crew cab i think.

Maybe prices went up since i checked. I called about a month ago. Ill have to call and ask them again. Im planning to run a 3/5.
Old 01-30-2006, 05:50 AM
On The Tree

Yea the 4/6 is way too low. The 3/5 may even be pushin it if you gotta go through rough roads or up and down driveways all the time. 3/5 max on a crew cab i think.

Maybe prices went up since i checked. I called about a month ago. Ill have to call and ask them again. Im planning to run a 3/5.
Thats what i going to run a 3/5 drop....The kit i mentioned above part# W9924DT is a 2/4 kit includes spindals, shackles, leaf springs. Or i could do 2" spindals, 1" coil springs total 3" and maybe a rear 6" flip kit with blocks?
Old 01-30-2006, 01:11 PM
TECH Addict

Cool

If you have 17" wheels the drop spindles will fit but I have heard that you will have to grind them a little to make them fit so be prepared for that. I am not sure how hard it is to grind them but if you have a small 10000 rpm angle grinder it will probably make quick work of it.
Old 01-30-2006, 02:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Yea, you will have to grind on the 17" spindles to make them fit 16" rims. You can special order the 16" spindles they make also but that requires flipping the upper balljoint and its a bitch to install them. Id only run the 17" spindles.
Old 01-30-2006, 03:43 PM
On The Tree

I do have 17" wheels and i am a mechanic and have many tools, and your saying i might have to grind on the wheel itself? And i don want to go to the special spindals i will ugrade in the future to a 20 or a 22" wheel and tire

Quick Reply: Opinion's on front drop coil springs