Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Output Shaft End Play...

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 08:54 PM
formerly 1BADC10 (12/14/2011)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Output Shaft End Play...

I'd like to ask those with experiences (good or bad) with 4L60Es on what is the recommended end play for the output shaft. I know the end play on the input shaft should be between .015" and .036", without getting any tighter than .015".

What about the output shaft? I've got ATSG's manual on the 4L60E, but don't recall seeing anything stated for it. Now... I've also worked 10 hours today, and for some reason researching this is still on the brain... despite my brain telling me to go get a drink and relax. I think that's a good idea right now.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:19 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is really no way to adjust the output shaft end play. By the way I love your tail gate bench photos. JFWY
Old 05-02-2007, 10:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

stop playing with your shaft.....

... and give up the digits on that credit card to Vince so you can be done with it
Old 05-02-2007, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Nick™
stop playing with your shaft.....

... and give up the digits on that credit card to Vince so you can be done with it
Not that my credit card is max'd, but I refuse to add to an already loaded card (loaded more than what I'm comfy with). Since your truck is paid off, how about you help an ole pal out, lemme hold YOUR credit card, and let me order an L4 as a moth-early b-day gift to me. Regardless of whether I fix this trans or not, once some major expenses get paid off this summer, I'll be able to save the ducketts to send to FLT. Besides, it never hurts to learn something new... like how a transmission works.

Vince, I was told (in the beginning) that since my pump was shot, that would've caused me to loose forward gears as well. Seeing the damage to the pump, I'd assume that as a possibility. I wish I'd have taken pics of it to show, but I didn't. Being that I no longer trust the guy that helped me the first time, is it true or false that a bad pump would only render half the gears usable and not all? Don't laugh... I'm not a pro, but I am trying to learn.

BTW... here's a few shots.

Name:  TransmissionDisassembly000.jpg
Views: 1923
Size:  130.4 KB
Name:  TransmissionDisassembly001.jpg
Views: 1820
Size:  101.9 KB
Name:  TransmissionDisassembly004.jpg
Views: 1961
Size:  72.4 KB
Name:  TransmissionDisassembly003.jpg
Views: 1845
Size:  70.2 KB
Name:  TransmissionDisassembly005.jpg
Views: 1999
Size:  71.1 KB
Name:  TransmissionDisassembly007.jpg
Views: 1899
Size:  121.8 KB
Name:  TransmissionDisassembly008.jpg
Views: 1898
Size:  145.3 KB
Name:  TransmissionDisassembly009.jpg
Views: 1897
Size:  93.3 KB
Name:  TransmissionDisassembly002.jpg
Views: 1795
Size:  120.1 KB
Name:  TransmissionDisassembly010.jpg
Views: 1780
Size:  29.8 KB

Now... the last pic is kinda fuzzy, but there's two cuts/tears where the tips of my fingers are. I don't know how detrimental these are, but I'll look at the other trans' separator plate, and use that one (if it's in good shape). Now... going to be interesting to see how I get this all back together without "special tools". Dial indicator may become available from a resource at work. Picks are $5. Other stuff will be obtained at a later time. Obviously, there's no rush with this.

Last edited by 95ImpSS; 05-02-2007 at 07:04 PM.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:34 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

The gaskets on the separator plate are a serviceable idem. Do not reuse valve body gaskets. Look at the separator plate for damage from the metal check *****. If there is wear replace it. If the pump is damaged god only knows what problems it can cause. Pretty much every one that we can think of. LOL Looks like you are having fun better get yourself a ATSG manual and probably a gasket kit at least. I'll check back in. Vince
Old 05-02-2007, 10:48 PM
Banned

not to cut Vince off or nothing but i have never seen a trans work with a boken pump that is how you get fluided throught the trans to ingauge the clutches
Old 05-02-2007, 10:57 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by litreddevil
not to cut Vince off or nothing but i have never seen a trans work with a boken pump that is how you get fluided throught the trans to ingauge the clutches
I was kind of making a joke. I think my point was a damaged pump can cause multiple problems.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by litreddevil
Well, that's the point I think you & Vince were getting at. I hoped you'd give your side since I know you worked for GM at one point. Fact is, there's no telling.

As for the gaskets, I made a memo to call around to see where/if I could get those somewhere b/c one was cut/torn in two places. Don't want to put those back in trans. Removed other trans' valve body and found that the guy modified the separator plate and installed one of seven check ***** that's almost twice the size of the standard .250 *****. I guess that was a part of that BS SK kit. I'll be looking to get an HD2 kit before putting this back together too.

Anyhow... I gotta get to work. Will keep ya'll posted. BTW, Vince... my tailgate workbench is all I have. I told my wife that if we move within the next 5 years, I'm designing the house myself, and building a haven for me. If not, I guess I'm stuck with what I have. Moving sucks, but if I get what I want, I'm all for it. I'll be under the carport for now.
Old 05-05-2007, 03:19 PM

Not that a shiny new coat of paint means it'll work flawlessly, but I felt it needed a better paint job than when I first got it. Paint over dirt & grime... blah! At least it held up for 3000 miles in stock form under my engine's punishment. Anyway... I would bolt it back in, but I've gotta buy an HD2 kit & Sonnax servo. Guess I'll buy that this week sometime. Sorry for the not-so-perfect pics. I used my cell phone... I forgot I had charged the batteries on the digicam.

Name:  TransmissionReassembled001.jpg
Views: 1785
Size:  70.9 KB
Name:  TransmissionReassembled002.jpg
Views: 1828
Size:  67.0 KB
Name:  TransmissionReassembled003.jpg
Views: 1771
Size:  59.8 KB

Going to a wedding in a few... gotta get drunk at this one. My podnuh, Roderick gettin' married today!
Old 05-05-2007, 03:25 PM
FormerVendor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

well i have a beautiful black tranny, so it must mean that it will work flawlessly!

Quick Reply: Output Shaft End Play...