Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

P1870 on stock trans and converter

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 11:48 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by oldred95
Yes it stands for pulse width modulation.

With the shift kit due to the PWM delete the TCC lockup feels about like a stock up shift does. Its noticable, not hard, I wouldn't even call it firm, but positive. The 93-94 4L60Es had no PWM at all it was a simple on/off circuit as it should be and they never gave any issues that I'm aware of. I'm curious if the PWM solenoid could be manipulated via tuning to take the place of actually changing the valve out to disable it. Could be the lazy mans fix until he gets his ambition built up to actually fix it.

I don't care what they say PWM started in 95 on the 4L60E. The ones that have it have PWM cast into the pump housing which mine clearly did as well as having the circuit in the connector for it as well as setting a code for the PWM solenoid which I had to turn off with tunerpro after I put the 4L80E in.
We don't have any tuning software, and the guy is a Jamaican car washer where I work, so either myself or one of the other techs at work will be fixing it for him. I'm looking for the least expensive yet permanent fix for him. The $55 part claims that you don't even need to remove the valve body, which means that I can charge him less to do it, as well as bang it out on the lift at work on a Tuesday night when we're allowed to work on our personal vehicles. If I end up swapping out the entire valve body, not only will the part cost him more, but I'll really have to charge him more since it's more labor intensive. Not to mention, I'd probably have to do it at home on my back since it will take longer to do and there isn't enough time in the hour that we get after work on a Tuesday night. But...if the cheaper options are known to be a bs fix, I'd rather have him spend more money and be done with it...at least until the rest of his 60E decides to take a dump.