Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Paddle Shift Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 11:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paddle Shift Anyone?

Hello I am new to the forum here and wanted to know if anyone would be interested in a paddle shift setup for their 4L60e or 4L80E?
I have been working on a Trannsmission Controller for some time now and I have been thinking about a a lite version of the controller that would allow someone to add a manual paddle shift to their transmission or to plug between the stock TCM and the transmission then be able to take manual control over the transmission and paddle shift it then switch control back to the stock TCM at any time.
Any suggestions I am about to start some testing on my 2005 Tahoe with a 4L60E please let me know if you think this would be worth my time because I think it would a very nice upgrade to be able to shift exactly when you want to.
Thanks for any feed back!
Dan Bennett
Old 04-25-2011, 12:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice keep us updated
Old 04-25-2011, 12:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh man...I'd love to see this! Ive often thought I'd like a manual tranny, but the hassle factor and custom interior/steering column changes were just more than I was willing to deal with. R/
Old 04-25-2011, 12:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'd only use it to downshift when slowing down or showing off my exhaust.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm kinda curious to see this, keep us posted.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:28 PM
Staging Lane

+1 to what every one has said
Old 04-25-2011, 02:38 PM

I don't believe that the 4L60e nor the 4l80e will allow you to downshift and it slow you down like a manual transmission I am not sure of all year models of the transmission but to hold you back like a manual trans would you would have to actually shift the shifter to a lower gear. But the controller i am working on would allow you to shift to a lower gear and then build more torque up and then shift back up when needed I also believe it would be great at track events and drag strips and redlights when no police are around. I also have been looking at some fluid diagrams of the 4L series and some have converted it to a manual shift only trans which I have thought about machining a block to hold extra solenoids to allow the hold back like the manual trans would but I am not that far along maybe even a different valvebody alltogether with might be in order. A friend of mine at a transmission shop is helping me with testing and info but anything you would like to see on it let me know.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Don't mean any offense by asking but, what kind of background do do you have (GM tech, enthusiast, etc?)
Looks like you're new to the forums. Welcome and thanks for being innovative.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:39 PM

@Static54
I don't mind you asking at all I actually work at Goodyear Tire and Rubber Manufacturing plant in west Tennessee as an Electrical Tech. But I have a small shop that I work on electronics and mechanical things that I am looking to open a Custom Electronics Company and I love wrenching on my vehicles. I love the Idea of taking modern performance and comfort and putting them into older autos. The transmission Lite controller is to give extra features to someone that likes the manual control when they want it and then auto control when they are just cruising. This is one of the first things on my list to build and it should not be a large cost Item. The testing I need to complete is to make sure that when the unit is plugged in and switched on it does not cause any trouble codes. The TCM from GM tests the solenoids for problems and basically how my unit will work is to fool the GM TCM into thinking a Transmission is still present while my controller is actaully controlling the Transmission. Most of the things I build at teh moment have been custom and I want to still do that because that is the fun part of what I do but also want to have something that would keep the light bills paid that is where the controllers will come in I hope. One more thing I plan to have the boards made in the U.S.A. and I as much as I can use american made parts when I can, one of the main reasons for this and the push to get started on this project is my plant is going to close at the end of the year. Sorry for a long autobiography hope this helps.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thats what the forums are for is to communicate so I appreciate your long answer. Sorry to hear bout your plant shutting down. At least you won't miss that nose stinging tire smell.

Are you a GM truck/ car owner?

Quick Reply: Paddle Shift Anyone?