Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Part time AWD?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 11:24 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Part time AWD?

I'm going on my 3rd front diff in my 03 SSS. I love having the awd, but the option of selectable 2wd to awd would be great. I've seen awd go to 2wd. And 2wd go to either 4wd or awd. But has anyone successfully set up selectable awd?
Old 01-20-2016, 12:42 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

How are your front diffs breaking?

You might could use a 4wd diff with the actuator. The AWD tcase would still drive the driver side front, but not the passenger side....I think. Might be weird under slippage conditions but the diff would be happier.
Old 01-20-2016, 02:51 PM
Admin

Received 217 Likes on 173 Posts

I wanna know what your doing to keep eating them up.
Old 01-20-2016, 04:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think you can make the 149 into 2wd. I believe there is something with decel in a 2wd that will ruin the Viscous Coupler. There might have been a selectable transfer case in a jeep.
Old 01-20-2016, 04:18 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

That's why I was thinking do the switch at the axle level instead of the tcase.
Old 01-20-2016, 04:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the problem would be when you disengaged the axle it would free wheel on that side so all the power would go to the front passenger side. I'm not certain that it wouldn't work. Those were things going through my mind when I was debating the AWD setup. Jeep does have the NP249 that has AWD/4WD. I didn't see anything that went from 2wd to AWD. I would seriously just get a 4WD transfer case. They are very strong and seem like they would do everything you want.
Old 01-20-2016, 08:57 PM
Teching In

My stock unit whined at 100k and groaned loud at about 115k. So i swapped it with a reman unit that was from Midwest Transmissions. $1K and it lasted about 20k miles. My truck has a 3/3 drop with upper and lower control arms, 305/40/22 tires. My axels aren't at any ridiculous angles or anything. Honestly, i think it crapped out because of the temp. It was -4 yesterday morning, my truck didn't even want to start with the remote starter. I let it warm for 15 min and headed out. But its only about a mile to the freeway. Less than 5 min and it gave out loud crunch. Traffic was full 4 lanes across. By the time i came to a stop it sounded awful. But when I tried to start moving again, it didn't want to go. So naturally i just gave it more gas till it did . Then there was another crunch and when i stopped and looked under there it was pissing out fluid. So now i'm looking at my options for diff #3
Old 01-21-2016, 01:16 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My guess is that you got a bad one on the reman deal. I would find either low mile stock unit, or have one completely rebuilt by a competent builder. That sucks about the -4 though, I still don't know how you guys do it way up north lol.
Old 01-21-2016, 07:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

I have almost 200K miles on my front diff. It has had the Timken bearings. But I had to go back and rebuild it again because someone didn't put new T clips or whatever those t bone shaped stops are for the bearing end caps. After that I slapped it back together. Some whine but no more than my old dog.

Do you know more about why the front axle is failing? Are you rebuilding it or is someone else?
Old 01-21-2016, 05:04 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by NipRing
It was -4 yesterday morning, my truck didn't even want to start with the remote starter. I let it warm for 15 min and headed out. But its only about a mile to the freeway. Less than 5 min and it gave out loud crunch.
I hope you have heaters on your truck? I have dealt with very cold temps my whole life. I have never lost a differential from being to cold. You might want to check your diff fluid, try a synthetic 75/90. I didn't have a garage for years growing up in Alaska and I would go out and start my truck at -40. I never did anything to the front diffs.

I have had 2 sets of front carrier bearings in my SSS in 75k miles. I don't even drive it in the winter any more. I think the little bit of power I am putting down is hard on it? If I remember correctly, you can get a bearing kit for like 140 bucks. I have rebuilt mine by myself both times. Never had an actual failure but I got that whine up front on Decel. Cant stand it.

Quick Reply: Part time AWD?