Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Performabuilt couldn't take it

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 01:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds good....Got to cover all bases when somthin like this happens.I like to understand what really happens when I read threads bout 4l60's given up the ghost.Sometimes its not cut and dry parts failure as one could easily assume.
Old 05-30-2010, 04:09 PM
12 Second Truck Club

havent u broke 2 or 3 trannys u rebuilt in the past?? just curious, sounds like u may have another issue if u broke a lvl2 performabuilt.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 06tx4.8
havent u broke 2 or 3 trannys u rebuilt in the past?? just curious, sounds like u may have another issue if u broke a lvl2 performabuilt.
Me? No, the stocker had 85k miles and I fucked it up with a low fluid level. Don't ask please!

This Performabuilt tranny is the second trans this truck has seen and it never skipped a beat before. Don't know what broke yet it could be a part that was just manufactured wrong, don't know yet.

Her she is being pulled onto the flat bed

Bad week for me......I just sprained my ankle playing soccer and my ankle looks like a golf ball, ain't that a bitch.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

dang man sucks to hear!
Old 05-30-2010, 10:54 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by jhe2003
Me? No, the stocker had 85k miles and I fucked it up with a low fluid level. Don't ask please!

This Performabuilt tranny is the second trans this truck has seen and it never skipped a beat before. Don't know what broke yet it could be a part that was just manufactured wrong, don't know yet.

Her she is being pulled onto the flat bed

Bad week for me......I just sprained my ankle playing soccer and my ankle looks like a golf ball, ain't that a bitch.
gotcha...must have u confused with someone else!
Old 05-30-2010, 11:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lemme know too because i want to upgrade to a PB lvl 2 or a LVL 3
i dont want to upgrade to an 80E bc i dont beat on my truck enough to rob myself of that kind of HP
Old 05-30-2010, 11:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

did it actually go boom!!! ?

i myself push a level 2 to its fullest and have been for a few years now, i cant see a stock lq9 blowing one up, its gotta be the pump

besides the point, youre in good hands, Frank is deffinitely take care of ya
Old 05-30-2010, 11:56 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 774 Likes on 640 Posts

You said you used a stock converter. did you you have it cut and cleaned after the first trans failure???? Other thing would be pump to converter clearance if pump broke. Vince had a thread on it. Explains the proper way to check converter clearance when installing it in the vehical. Good to know!!! Lots of people dont. I just recently found out my self. I guess Ive been one of the lucky ones. I dont build transmissions but I have installed a lot and never relised how critical it was.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...allations.html
Old 05-31-2010, 12:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
You said you used a stock converter. did you you have it cut and cleaned after the first trans failure???? Other thing would be pump to converter clearance if pump broke. Vince had a thread on it. Explains the proper way to check converter clearance when installing it in the vehical. Good to know!!! Lots of people dont. I just recently found out my self. I guess Ive been one of the lucky ones. I dont build transmissions but I have installed a lot and never relised how critical it was.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...allations.html
good post 1FB, i used this method after finding out the hard way a long long time ago !!

it becomes pretty much 90% of most problems .. that would suck using a converter that was in a blown up tranny without cleaning it but i am sure it happens time to time
Old 05-31-2010, 12:21 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 774 Likes on 640 Posts

Originally Posted by skeet
good post 1FB, i used this method after finding out the hard way a long long time ago !!

it becomes pretty much 90% of most problems .. that would suck using a converter that was in a blown up tranny without cleaning it but i am sure it happens time to time
As the guys who build Them know You Can't rule any thing out. Asuming he used the same stock converter...

FWIW Or Trans rebuilder was buying " rebuilt converters from this one supply company but kept haveing problems with almost every one. I personally believe they were only flushing them on a machine... Not actually cutting them open and inspecting them. I asked him to switch to another local company and the problems stopped... The price difference was an additional $20 So far it has been worth every cent!

Quick Reply: Performabuilt couldn't take it