Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Performabuilt couldn't take it

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 10:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skeet
did it actually go boom!!! ?

i myself push a level 2 to its fullest and have been for a few years now, i cant see a stock lq9 blowing one up, its gotta be the pump

besides the point, youre in good hands, Frank is deffinitely take care of ya

It didn'y really go boom! it just jerked and then nothing.
Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
You said you used a stock converter. did you you have it cut and cleaned after the first trans failure???? Other thing would be pump to converter clearance if pump broke. Vince had a thread on it. Explains the proper way to check converter clearance when installing it in the vehical. Good to know!!! Lots of people dont. I just recently found out my self. I guess Ive been one of the lucky ones. I dont build transmissions but I have installed a lot and never relised how critical it was.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...allations.html
When I swapped the Lq9 I also installed a higher stall torque converter(EBAY UNIT) and never bothered to check the fluid level twice, thats how I killed the stock unit.
When I bought the PB unit I used the original torque converter which was clean. If the pump broke then the current torque converter would have to be cleaned or I'll just buy a new factory torque converter.

Yep I've read that thread before.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:26 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 786 Likes on 652 Posts

Originally Posted by jhe2003
It didn'y really go boom! it just jerked and then nothing.

When I swapped the Lq9 I also installed a higher stall torque converter(EBAY UNIT) and never bothered to check the fluid level twice, thats how I killed the stock unit.
When I bought the PB unit I used the original torque converter which was clean. If the pump broke then the current torque converter would have to be cleaned or I'll just buy a new factory torque converter.

Yep I've read that thread before.
Ok I didn't know the whole story behind your original trans failure. I was un aware that you put a higher stall in when you swaped the LQ9 in.
Old 05-31-2010, 02:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah the the whole higher stall factory 60e and low fluid level ordeal only lasted about a week before it started slipping bad! Lol!
Old 05-31-2010, 03:46 PM
TECH Addict

I'm sure they will take care of you..

I'm waiting on my lvl2 pb right now
Old 06-01-2010, 06:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Little update: Frank had me disconnect the oil cooler feed line to see if the pump had taken a dump and no...... plenty of fluid comes out. Took the tranny off and noticed that the input shaft moves about 1/2 an inch in and out and it spins freely(normal?)

Frank said most likely a broken input shaft.

Tranny is boxed up ready to ship it back to PB for warranty repairs.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:20 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

turn around time?
Old 06-01-2010, 07:42 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Post up what you broke once you find out.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

We need pics of the carnage!
Old 06-01-2010, 09:27 PM
On The Tree

I have been looking into PB and FLT myself. I have noticed that even PBs top tranny doesnt come with neither hardened or billet shafts. I have a 4L65E which comes with hardened shafts. When I spoke to PB they told me that they have not had any shaft failures and that I would be fine just running a lvl2 tranny on my truck. I am in no way putting them down but you figure on a 5300# truck you would use at least hardened shaft. I asked if I bought a tranny from them if I would get a built 4L65E, they said no I would get a 4L60E. I think he said they could rebuild mines but it my DD and I cannt have it down.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dlt76028
turn around time?
I really don't know but I hope about a week?
Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Post up what you broke once you find out.
Definately will once they take it apart to see exactly what went wrong

Originally Posted by SILVERADO11
We need pics of the carnage!
Nothing really to see just the input shaft moving in/out

Originally Posted by blownss06
I have been looking into PB and FLT myself. I have noticed that even PBs top tranny doesnt come with neither hardened or billet shafts. I have a 4L65E which comes with hardened shafts. When I spoke to PB they told me that they have not had any shaft failures and that I would be fine just running a lvl2 tranny on my truck. I am in no way putting them down but you figure on a 5300# truck you would use at least hardened shaft. I asked if I bought a tranny from them if I would get a built 4L65E, they said no I would get a 4L60E. I think he said they could rebuild mines but it my DD and I cannt have it down.
I really never thought about having problems with mine since its basically a stock lq9 but it is a heavy truck though.

Quick Reply: Performabuilt couldn't take it