Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

PI VIg 3bolt TQ converter Q?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 11:16 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Cleaning up today and I found these on the workbench. Maybe PI did send me the right bolts and I got them mixed up with another pack of 3 black 8.8 bolts. Don't ask me where the smaller ones came from?? They are definitely 12mm. Add the extra thickness of any aftermarket flexplate to this for your bolt length.
Attached Thumbnails PI VIg 3bolt TQ converter Q?-tc-bolts.jpg   PI VIg 3bolt TQ converter Q?-tc-bolts2.jpg  
Old 02-26-2006, 01:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DrX
Depends if you can find flange head bolts like OEM or need a washer. 20mm will be too long. That's all I could find and I had to cut them down. PI's instructions say 12mm- http://www.converter.com/book_flywheel.htm But I see that the instructions regarding the TC to flexplate clearance still say 1/16"-1/8" for all apps so who knows? It would be easy to determine now with the TC off. Screw a bolt in to the TC until it bottoms, then back it off a little. Measure how much thread was buried and add the thickness of the flexplate plus washer(if any). I can't recall exactly what I ended up with but I think it could be a little longer than 12 mm.
what clearance are you checking? Where do I need to mesure how far the converter is from the flexplate?
Old 02-26-2006, 09:43 AM
DrX
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Dark Halo
what clearance are you checking? Where do I need to mesure how far the converter is from the flexplate?
The 1/16" - 1/8" is the space between the flexplate and the face of one of the 3 lugs on the PI Vig TC when the TC is fully seated on the input shaft of the trans. If the space was more than that you were supposed to use shims/washers between them to avoid pulling the TC out too far and causing damage to the pump. But apparently the LS1 trannnies are different and 5/16" is acceptable without shimming.

It's easy to check if you have the trans out. Measure the distance from the mounting surface of the bellhousing to the face of one of the lugs on the converter. If the measurement is the same for both the OEM and PI converters, no shimming is required.
Old 02-26-2006, 10:42 AM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by DrX
Cleaning up today and I found these on the workbench. Maybe PI did send me the right bolts and I got them mixed up with another pack of 3 black 8.8 bolts. Don't ask me where the smaller ones came from?? They are definitely M10 X 1.5 X 12mm. Add the extra thickness of any aftermarket flexplate to this for your bolt length.
thanks for the further detail. That's not much bolt I might try and squeek in another thread or two using a 15mm. but that really all dpends on which flexplate I go with
Old 02-26-2006, 07:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DrX
The 1/16" - 1/8" is the space between the flexplate and the face of one of the 3 lugs on the PI Vig TC when the TC is fully seated on the input shaft of the trans. If the space was more than that you were supposed to use shims/washers between them to avoid pulling the TC out too far and causing damage to the pump. But apparently the LS1 trannnies are different and 5/16" is acceptable without shimming.

It's easy to check if you have the trans out. Measure the distance from the mounting surface of the bellhousing to the face of one of the lugs on the converter. If the measurement is the same for both the OEM and PI converters, no shimming is required.
but you still pull it tight to the flexplate when you bolt it up correct?
Old 01-16-2007, 05:50 PM
what a rush!

anyone get the word on what clearance is acceptable for the flexplate/TQ converter?

1/8", 5/16"?
Old 01-17-2007, 03:11 PM
what a rush!

Originally Posted by moregrip
anyone get the word on what clearance is acceptable for the flexplate/TQ converter?

1/8", 5/16"?
bump for me......anyone?
Old 01-17-2007, 03:19 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

5/16" I have never needed to shim my PI...
Old 01-17-2007, 04:19 PM
what a rush!

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
5/16" I have never needed to shim my PI...
good to know, thanks..........where did you get that info from?
if I was thinking right I would have measured everything before I took them apart
Old 01-17-2007, 04:31 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I asked PI while I was on the phone with them earlier today talking about getting mine refreshed/restalled.

Quick Reply: PI VIg 3bolt TQ converter Q?