Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Picked up a 4l80e. 125 BUCKS!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 07:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Picked up a 4l80e. 125 BUCKS!

Well the title says it all, I got my hands on a used 4l80e from craigslist, with converter, dipstick, and a lot of wiring for just 125 bucks. The guy guaranteed me that the transmission worked fine, and when I checked the fluid condition it was pink, and I dint see metal flakes in it at all. here is a picture, although its dirty as ****.

It has 135K on it, I want to just do a shift kit and put it in my Hoe but some people tell me I should rebuild it. I do not want to rebuild it if it will hold with just the shift kit. What do you all think I should do? I will be using stock converter, and am on a very tight budget.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good buy man!
Old 02-08-2011, 07:36 PM
12 Second Truck Club

shift kit and put it in.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Swerve7rpm2000
good buy man!
Thanks, i hope everything looks good inside when i open her up.

Originally Posted by dlt76028
shift kit and put it in.
I was hoping some people would say this, it would save me lots of time and money.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:02 PM
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Pull the pan and see what it is like, then make a decision. Good price!

Chris
Old 02-08-2011, 09:24 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 204 Likes on 139 Posts

Damn good deal.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Circle-D
Pull the pan and see what it is like, then make a decision. Good price!

Chris
If its like mine more trash then you typically see on a catastrophic 4L60E failure yet mine was still in perfect working condition??? No clue but there was a TON of trash in the pan with relatively clean fluid and its still going strong.

The thing is nasty dirty but so long as it works there you go. I payed 350 for mine with nearly the same miles, same condition. What year is it from? I still don't know where I read this but it seems to be true that 97 and later 80s have a weaker low/reverse band servo piston and the pin likes to punch through the piston giving your 4 perfectly fine forward gears and no reverse. If I had one from a 97 or newer I would go ahead and tear it down and fix/replace the weak link before putting it in. I've seen quite a few trucks give this exact problem to. There was even an episode of American Chopper where they piled up a bunch of snow behind Sr.'s Hummer and he hammered on it in reverse and lost reverse all together and had all forward gears. It would be one thing if the band was just behind the pump but its all the way at the back of the transmission so you might as well pull it down and check it over if you feel the need to address the weak piston concern.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by oldred95
If its like mine more trash then you typically see on a catastrophic 4L60E failure yet mine was still in perfect working condition??? No clue but there was a TON of trash in the pan with relatively clean fluid and its still going strong.

The thing is nasty dirty but so long as it works there you go. I payed 350 for mine with nearly the same miles, same condition. What year is it from? I still don't know where I read this but it seems to be true that 97 and later 80s have a weaker low/reverse band servo piston and the pin likes to punch through the piston giving your 4 perfectly fine forward gears and no reverse. If I had one from a 97 or newer I would go ahead and tear it down and fix/replace the weak link before putting it in. I've seen quite a few trucks give this exact problem to. There was even an episode of American Chopper where they piled up a bunch of snow behind Sr.'s Hummer and he hammered on it in reverse and lost reverse all together and had all forward gears. It would be one thing if the band was just behind the pump but its all the way at the back of the transmission so you might as well pull it down and check it over if you feel the need to address the weak piston concern.

Thanks for the info, It is a 97, which i actually tried to get because I heard that the ones with the tranny line going into the middle of the case were actually more reliable ( so apparently i didn't research enough) I guess if the thing looks really good inside i wont mess with it, but if it looks a little sketchy i might have to tear it apart.

I am just not a professional at rebuilding trannys and for all i know i could make it worse by rebuilding it than it would have been if i didn't touch it.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:19 PM
10 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

u stole that thing man
Old 02-09-2011, 03:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

run it bone stock.

Quick Reply: Picked up a 4l80e. 125 BUCKS!