Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

pictures of transmission (60e)

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 10:05 AM
formerly silverbrick (changed 02/17/2013)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so if i connected a T to the return line, it would read the temperature of the fluid after its gone through a 30kGVW transmission cooler wouldnt it? i kinda want to know how hot its actually getting inside the transmission when the fluid is already heated up, not how hot the fluid is when its entering the transmission. i follow you on how the linepressure port isnt very accurate. if im missing something about this T in the trans return line please educate me i appreciate all of you adivce vince. so you tell me what i should do and i will! many people have benefited from that. but please dont tell me to weld a bung in the pan or weld anything in. i dont want to do that
Old 08-20-2006, 10:36 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My idea about the T in the return line is simple. Sooner or later trans temp must balance out and this oil is what is being used to to lubricate and cool all at the same time. In theory the temp of the oil and parts should = one another. At the same time it is a more consistant reading of what the trans is seeing. IMO
Old 08-20-2006, 10:50 AM
Banned

Vince Has Explain This Perfect

If You Have Ever Pulled A Pan On One Of The Newer Vehicles Where There Is A Wire That Goes To What Looks Like Nothing That Is The Tem Sensor For A Over Heating Protection Mode And It Is In The Pan

If You Want To Put A Trans Temp Gauge Just Wire It In To The Wire To The Cluster.then No Need To Put Anything Extra In The Pan R In The Return Line

I THINK IT IS A PURPLE AND YELLOW WIRE NOT SURE I AM GOING TO CHECK TO MAKE SURE
Old 08-20-2006, 12:37 PM
formerly silverbrick (changed 02/17/2013)

so you think the best description of temperature would be measuring how hot the fluid entering the transmission would be?

liredevil, with an aftermarket gauge, how would i tap into the stock wire behind the original cluster to get the temp reading from that?

vince, you said you would hook me up with a T how could we go by doing that, how much should i send you or what?
Old 08-20-2006, 01:35 PM
Banned

I Have To Look At The Wiring Digram For The Plug In Just Tap Into That Wire It Would Be Like Putting A Cluster With A Gauge Get With 01thunder He Posted Up Some Pic On How He Did His Came Out Real Nice.
Old 08-20-2006, 01:56 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My opinion has always been that I want to see the hottest point of the tranny. If the hottest part of the tranny is running at 250* but I have a huge cooler and the return fluid is running at 200* I am never going to know that my fluid is reaching 250* and burning and losing it's lubricating properties.
Old 08-20-2006, 02:47 PM
Banned

Trans Fluid Is Good For 300* If Am Not Mistaken Usually You Burn The Fluid From Towingr If Clutches Slipping
Old 08-20-2006, 02:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Soon2bSpooled
liredevil, with an aftermarket gauge, how would i tap into the stock wire behind the original cluster to get the temp reading from that?
Don't do that. An aftermarket gauge is calibrated differently than the stock sensor. You need the sensor that is calibrated directly for the gauge you are using.
Old 08-20-2006, 04:05 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by SnakeOiler
Don't do that. An aftermarket gauge is calibrated differently than the stock sensor. You need the sensor that is calibrated directly for the gauge you are using.
This is very true! If I'm not mistaken it works off OHM's. I could be wrong. I would get a matched set to ensure a proper reading!
Old 08-20-2006, 06:16 PM
Teching In

I'm rather fond of the kits that have the setup that goes in the cooler line,very clean and easy to install.You can warm up the truck and feel/use temp gun/ to tell which line goes out and install.IMO I've never installed one in my stuff,its more gimmick.

Quick Reply: pictures of transmission (60e)