Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

(pinion angle) How to change my trans angle?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 06:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only advice I can give about pinion angle is just listen or read a method you want or you decide on. Talking about this subject and others can lead to nothing but problems. None of would be wrong, but everyone would be confused. That is my experience. Regarding the shims, your talking about going to the track. The same thing can be applied to that as pinion angle.

Good luck to you.
Old 11-15-2015, 08:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DAH32
The only advice I can give about pinion angle is just listen or read a method you want or you decide on.
pinion angle is neither skinning cats nor rocket surgery. there are not opinions on this and its not that hard if you follow appropriate instructions.
Old 11-15-2015, 09:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

I dont disagree.

What Im saying is this. When several instructors/several publications/several people/several sets of instructions or however you want to explain the correct way are being outlined, they may not all make sense to the person listening or reading. Usually when this happens no one can agree on anything about the subject once a question is asked or a discussion is started . The person that is learning or doing the work has to pick one that they are able to understand and go with that. In discussion, sometimes things can lead to mixups that causes arguments over the correct way by people saying this is better or that is better, nothing but confusion and arguments because thats how they learned, or they are miserable, or want to argumentative, or that is what they liked, or some other reason. This is what Im seeing on these topics like this. Opinions lead people not to be able to follow anything. This is because of the argument or discussion that is going on and often times leads them to be indifferent because of the egos in people wanting to say or see their way is better. Once that type of thinking begins in a discussion, at that point, any reasonable person will say, what is the point with that line of thinking? Most will say that is a terrible outlook. The only way to answer that question is for that line of thinking to totally go away, due to the reason that this line of thinking is the root of the problem.

Pinion angle happens to be one of these subjects that leads to this kind of explanation.

Your point is valid. There is no disagreement in what you said.

The problem is what I have explained in the opening paragraph.

Did I solve anything, more than likely, no. This is just an observation made.

Last edited by DAH32; 11-16-2015 at 06:51 AM. Reason: confusion on thread
Old 11-15-2015, 09:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

I will say this. The reason I said what I did has to do with all the arguing I see on that subject and others at several websites.
Old 11-16-2015, 09:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Need to correct that U bolt too.

If your just driving around. Not being all that aggressive. That 4" shim will be ok. Most people with anymore than a 2" shim will remove the perches and rotate the housing and weld on new perches, especially if your doing any kind of racing.
Thats not how i left the u bolt, only took a picture in the middle of putting it together, u bolt is in its place now
Old 11-16-2015, 09:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by George C....
You havent done anything really to change the stock trans angle...you should not need to change it
So your saying its ok that the transpinion points down 6 degrees and the pinion angle also points down but 2.5 degrees? i guees as long as it doesnt vibrate the rest is test 60s at the track and keep the one where the traccion is the best huh?
Old 11-16-2015, 09:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
Only if the pin (leaf spring bolt) is long enough to go thru the shim and into the spring perch a decent amount. That's why I welded a little extra length on the end of it. Everything located better and stayed put. I did slip the axle once before I did this little mod, no more issues after that.
do u have a picture of that by any chance?
Old 11-16-2015, 01:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

yes, pinion angle is a pretty complicated subject both from a 'how to' side and a 'what should it be' side and it can be best for someone to choose a method/theory and stick with it.
Old 11-16-2015, 02:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TrendSetter
yes, pinion angle is a pretty complicated subject both from a 'how to' side and a 'what should it be' side and it can be best for someone to choose a method/theory and stick with it.
I dont know where that ellipse grammar came from.

I still stand by what I said at the 10:00 or #13 reply.

Have a good day.
Old 11-16-2015, 03:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Trendsetter

I want to be clear that the reason for me saying that line of thinking can go away is because I dont see a positive when things get to that point as in did in my reply at 10:00. That is nothing but destructive or dividing a camp and potentially creating problems. There is nothing there to be positive about. I prefer another line of thinking that is not even in that discussion. Im indifferent to that way of thinking and dont want to be part of that, who wants to destroy friendships or associations. When I see that. I say see you later, have a nice day.

Quick Reply: (pinion angle) How to change my trans angle?