Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

(pinion angle) How to change my trans angle?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 11:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Now that i finally know how to measure pinion angle and that i have to measure front and back both, i lifted the truck put it on jackstands (front under the arms as near to the tire possible, rear under the axle) it might not be the perfect ride hight but i tried to lift it 8" all around since the truck is so low its hard to work under it
Found out that for some reason i was a little off on the tranmission shaft angle dont know why, i started with a used pinion angle tool and got 2 new ones already since i felt like a got different measurments but they show the same numbers, anyways i edited the numbers below:
Name:  pinion%20angle_zps5vseawc7.png
Views: 1958
Size:  117.1 KB
I made a video showing that changing transmission shaft angle is nearly impossible (sorry for some reason the video turned sideways), only thing that comes to my mind is lowering the whole engine with different engine mounts because otherwise i dont see how, in the beginning of the video u can see its at -4.5 and i lifted it more then i think is funcional and i got it too -3.5 (lifting it that much only got me 1 degree of a difference)
http://vid784.photobucket.com/albums...psmlalbzam.mp4

blown02408: so if i want equal and opposite looks like i will have to get pinion angle between differential and driveshaft to +2.5 since transmission and driveshaft is -2.5 and i cant do anything to it, or is it not that important to do 100% equal and opposite? can i be some off?

The thing that has me scratching my head is how i didnt feel any vibration the way its setup now? :s i increased speed slowly and did a couple of wot runs and felt all good

Anyways thanks for your guys help, iŽll get it right
Old 11-18-2015, 01:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Skipped most of the posts, don't worry so much about the angle of the driveshaft. At this picture here, you'll set leaf springs like you would ladder bars. When I had leaf springs my truck was close to an 6-8 drop in the rear, I had the trans spaced up 4" to were it was pointed down 2 degrees (-2) then I had the pinion pointed down 1 degree (1-). That way when I was on the gas it should point up to around 2 degrees (+2).
When under a load you want the transmission and pinion to be parallel, leaf springs are very forgiving though and can be off a fair bit with out any vibration.

Name:  3830DEEB-85E5-49FB-9A7E-50C6571A80B1_zps18dwmxmr.jpg
Views: 922
Size:  145.6 KB
Old 11-22-2015, 04:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

After changing too 6° shims between axle and leaf springs and a 1/4" shim i made for the transmission (its not much on the transmission side but i felt comfortable raising it 1/4") this is what i got for final meassurments and no vibrations from 0-120 mph

Name:  pinion%20angle_zpsttismcyk.png
Views: 1167
Size:  114.2 KB
Old 01-25-2016, 03:38 AM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Just out of curiosity, did you clamp the OL leaf springs to the front of the leaf packs at some point along the way in your build?(likely Before you mounted up the traction bars)??

I went through a similar situation with my DL angles. I was tearing through u-joints before I had my custom 4" alum. Shaft made and got the angles right. One issue, from being lowered that much from stock, is that the DL angles are no longer 'traditional'(or appear normal), in comparison to all the photos/write-ups you see going around for RWD vehicles... The part that screwed me up was clamping the OL leafs for some period of time, then removing the OL leafs upon installing the Caltracs... The clamps pull the pinion snout up quite a bit, when clamping to the front leaf packs. I ended up having to partially re-arc the springs back to normal along with using 8 degree shims as well. It had me scratching my head for awhile and lots of trips back to NAPA for warranty exchanges on the Chinese u-joints, until I got it dialed in. I have a flip kit though, so it may be a little different, but all relative.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chris99gmc
Just out of curiosity, did you clamp the OL leaf springs to the front of the leaf packs at some point along the way in your build?(likely Before you mounted up the traction bars)??

I went through a similar situation with my DL angles. I was tearing through u-joints before I had my custom 4" alum. Shaft made and got the angles right. One issue, from being lowered that much from stock, is that the DL angles are no longer 'traditional'(or appear normal), in comparison to all the photos/write-ups you see going around for RWD vehicles... The part that screwed me up was clamping the OL leafs for some period of time, then removing the OL leafs upon installing the Caltracs... The clamps pull the pinion snout up quite a bit, when clamping to the front leaf packs. I ended up having to partially re-arc the springs back to normal along with using 8 degree shims as well. It had me scratching my head for awhile and lots of trips back to NAPA for warranty exchanges on the Chinese u-joints, until I got it dialed in. I have a flip kit though, so it may be a little different, but all relative.
Sorry for the late response, i never clamped the Leafs springs, made me some cal track style traccion bars back in the day, updating them soon, iŽll update as i go