Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Pinion angle/ shims

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 01:31 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Pinion angle/ shims

I was driving my truck this morning, all was well for the trip i took into town to get fuel, Then i took off hard and began noticing a vibration.

I thought it was my new exhaust i just fabbed up possibly settling and hitting my rear axle.

Drove down the freeway, vibration got worse, but then with varied speeds it would go away.

Got off the freeway, back thru town, on my way home i punched it and she went, but then BOOM, and a grinding sound, also felt like neutral so i Knew i lost the drive shaft.

Any way the rear U - joint broke, actually the caps came off the housing yoke.

So i believe i need pinion/axle shims since i have Rear hangers and shackles.

What are you guys running with similar setups as mine???

( 2'' McG's drop spindles/stock keys front, Mcg's rear hangers, shackles, removed rear block.)
Old 05-06-2012, 02:54 PM
Fastest D1 Procharged Truck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just did mine but I'm 2wd mine was +6 or +7 so i did 8* shim so its at -3 or -4 they say thats best for drag racing
Old 05-06-2012, 02:59 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Originally Posted by twolow02fransen
i just did mine but I'm 2wd mine was +6 or +7 so i did 8* shim so its at -3 or -4 they say thats best for drag racing
Thanks, who did you ask, McG's??
Old 05-06-2012, 03:04 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Tim, you need to measure your angles to figure out which shims to get. Every truck seems to be just a little bit different. Things like wheelbase, drop kit, trans/t-case length, all change things slightly.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:13 PM
Fastest D1 Procharged Truck

Originally Posted by TIM Z
Thanks, who did you ask, McG's??
nah i bought a angle finder and figured it out myself its pretty easy just make sure when you do it that the truck is on its wheels and not on a lift or jackstands
Old 05-06-2012, 04:53 PM
TECH Addict

running a similar setup tim, 4/4 drop rear is a shackle and hanger as well and i ran 6 degree shims and have pretty much elimated any vibrations . most commonly 65-75 mph is where you notice it. i have measured a few other trucks and as said they are different from truck to truck but not alot usually within 2 degrees . 6-8 degree shims are the biggest you will find without stacking which is dangerous and when that much is needed the spring perch's should be re clocked . try 4-6* shims and you should be fine.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:32 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
Tim, you need to measure your angles to figure out which shims to get. Every truck seems to be just a little bit different. Things like wheelbase, drop kit, trans/t-case length, all change things slightly.
Originally Posted by twolow02fransen
nah i bought a angle finder and figured it out myself its pretty easy just make sure when you do it that the truck is on its wheels and not on a lift or jackstands
Thanks guys !!! , i have an angle finder, just kinda wanted to see thoughts/ what shims would cure the prob. Hey Roger how is your rear dropped? The same?
Originally Posted by 2004SSS
running a similar setup tim, 4/4 drop rear is a shackle and hanger as well and i ran 6 degree shims and have pretty much elimated any vibrations . most commonly 65-75 mph is where you notice it. i have measured a few other trucks and as said they are different from truck to truck but not alot usually within 2 degrees . 6-8 degree shims are the biggest you will find without stacking which is dangerous and when that much is needed the spring perch's should be re clocked . try 4-6* shims and you should be fine.
Man i appreciate the info mucho gracias!! LOL I think like you said since our drops are the same i will start with the 6* shims and go from there.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:51 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Block removed, 2" shackles, overload leaf removed, Cal-Tracs added. 4* shim for driveline angle correction, fat end forward.

Yours should be different since you have hangers also.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
Block removed, 2" shackles, overload leaf removed, Cal-Tracs added. 4* shim for driveline angle correction, fat end forward.

Yours should be different since you have hangers also.
Did you need the shims with your changes? I am surprised. What did you encounter with your changes that warranted the shims? I am doing the same as you with the exception of removing the overload spring and didn't think I would have a problem.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:50 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Originally Posted by TurboJohn6
Did you need the shims with your changes? I am surprised. What did you encounter with your changes that warranted the shims? I am doing the same as you with the exception of removing the overload spring and didn't think I would have a problem.
At static ride height, I had 0*. Besides knowing that 0* is not good for u-joints, on a launch or when accelerating hard, pinion angle would go positive, and I'd get launch shudder or vibration, depending on speed. The 4* shim gave me a -4* driveline angle, and now there is never any vibration.

Quick Reply: Pinion angle/ shims