Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

pinion gear problem. clueless. need help bad and fast...

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 04:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pinion gear problem. clueless. need help bad and fast...

i replaced my ring and pinion gears with USA standard gears from rons machining. both look like they should fit fine, BUT the new bearings are bigger. i got it with the master install kit they send. im on borrowed time getting this back together, now with the factory shims in place, when i tightened the pinion gear, it is all the way as tight as it'll go, but it still moves back and forth like 1/8". its not even hitting the crush sleeve. the bearings are already pressed in, getting them out in one piece is almost not an option. am i missing something? anyone got the usa standard gear and master install kit and had this problem? were the bearings in your master install kit taller/different then the factory ones? like i said im running on borrowed time, as it is in a friends shop. it was supose to be done by saturday evening... any siggestions or answers would be HIGHLY appreciated.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:50 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 204 Likes on 139 Posts

Sounds like an 8.5" vs 8.6" size issue... Do you have pictures?
Old 03-18-2012, 04:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by smokeshow
Sounds like an 8.5" vs 8.6" size issue... Do you have pictures?
+1

I recently snapped my rear u joint (which also broke my yoke) and found out the only difference between a 8.5 yoke and an 8.6 yoke is a stupid sleeve.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:58 PM
Staging Lane

i was thinking that. the ring and pinion box SAYS 8.5. but the online add thing on rons website said 8.5/8.6. are the ring and pinion gear the same?

sorry no pictures. it didnt fit, he had to go to dinner, so he kicked me out and locked the doors for the night... lol
Old 03-18-2012, 05:07 PM
Staging Lane

with it all together, the yoke tightened onto the pinion gear as tight as it will go, this is my factory yoke btw, it moves forward and backwards about 1/8". like its bottoming out the threads before its even close to being tight against the crush sleeve.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:10 PM
Staging Lane

its the factory g80 carrier as well. i know bad idea but i gotta save up a little more for the truetrac.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:14 PM
TECH Addict

ok no the difference is the ring gear hence the 8.5 and 8.625. you can put 8.5 gears in an 8.625 rear end if you use the correct shims etc but if you bought 8.5 gears then you got an issue. make sense?
Old 03-18-2012, 05:18 PM
Staging Lane

uhhhh sorta. slightly confused? we are talking about the ring and pinion correct? because the g80 is the factory that came in the truck. only replaced the ring and pinion and bearings and races thats came with the master install kit. the box on the ring and pinion gear set says 8.5, but 8.5 and 8.6 ring and pinion gears are the same. is that right?
Old 03-18-2012, 05:39 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2006bowtie
uhhhh sorta. slightly confused? we are talking about the ring and pinion correct? because the g80 is the factory that came in the truck. only replaced the ring and pinion and bearings and races thats came with the master install kit. the box on the ring and pinion gear set says 8.5, but 8.5 and 8.6 ring and pinion gears are the same. is that right?
no they are not, if you have a 8.625 housing and you are installing a 8.5 ring gear the differnce is an 1/8 inch make sense. the numbers correlate with the size in inches of the ring gear. You can put 8.5 gears in but you will need the correct shim for the pinion gear to push it in to contact the ring gear correctly. I honestly dont know anyone that has done it, from what i have heard the support bearings are a different size as well.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:47 PM
Staging Lane

ok i understand now. well i will deffinately be calling rons machining tomorrow morning to try and return the parts. from as much as you guys talk about him id hope hes pretty understanding on the deal and works with me since the bearing and races have all already been pressed into place and might not easily be returned. really wish he was open on sundays.... lol really appreciate the quick responses there ED! you too smokeshow!

Quick Reply: pinion gear problem. clueless. need help bad and fast...