Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

please help

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 06:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please help

I purchased a high performance 4l60e from a non sponsor and they only stalled it to 2200 as opposed to 2800 so I set up an appointment to go back today (120 mile drive)and have them put a higher stall. Well after killing 4 hours around town, I come back and my truck is still parked where I left it They tell me that my original tranny was a 65e and the one they put in was a 65e (I thought it was a 60e and the invoice even says 60e.) and their vendors dont carry a stall higher than 2500 for a 65e and that is why they only put a 2200 stall. Now I agrue with him that my truck couldlnt have had a 65e originally because as far as I know a 2001 1500 silverado rcsb 4.8 dont come with one unless the person that owned it before me put one in. He said if I didnt believe him I could have someone check it out and then told me that if I wanted he would throw a 60e and stall as high as I want. He offered to make it right and told me if I could find a stall for a 65e higher than 2500 he would pay for it and install it and pay for my gas. Is there a way I can find out if my tranny is a 65e as apposed to a 60e just by looking at it on the outside. I took it to the stealership and paid for an oil change so they would look at it, but the mechanics there didnt know.
Old 09-12-2005, 07:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was under the impression that the only difference in a 60 and 65e is the plantery and some other minor additions.. and no, stock its def a 60e... unless whoever had it before you put a 65e in there.. (highly doubtful) and there are stalls that are way higher than 2500 for a 60e and a 65e.. look at fuddle racing's web page.
Old 09-12-2005, 07:23 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SSlow 4.8
I was under the impression that the only difference in a 60 and 65e is the plantery and some other minor additions.. and no, stock its def a 60e... unless whoever had it before you put a 65e in there.. (highly doubtful) and there are stalls that are way higher than 2500 for a 60e and a 65e.. look at fuddle racing's web page.
Thats what I tried to tell him but he said this happens all the time when someone thinks they need a 60e and they really have a 65e. He even looked over at one of his workers and said "didnt that 2005 1500 silverado you just bought come with a 65e" and of course he said "why yes it did" I was so mad because I know this cant be. I was thinking the whole time that they made a boo boo and just didnt have the stall I wanted for the 60e in stock or he doesnt want to stall it up. This is why I need to know if there is a difference between the two trannies from looking at the case, some one pleae help, I have tried looking it up using the search tool.
Old 09-12-2005, 07:31 PM
TECH Junkie

looking at the case i dont think there is a visual difference... someone will chime in here soon, but i beleive maybe the casting numbers will show which model it is. I dont understand tho... he built up the tranny for race perfomance and doesnt want to put a high stall in there? See thts why i hate the ppl that worked on my tranny and i learned me lesson.. shops wont put anything real high in there bc they dont want you to come back and be like.. its sucking gas and doesnt drive good... no matter if you tell them this is your DD or not.. they still wont put a higher stall in there.. idk what the reason is, idk if it voids the warrenty or what.. they just wont do it.. good luck tho, hopefully i'll have my truck back tomorrow, this will be the 3rd time i have brought it back bc they fucked something up.. so i feel your pain
Old 09-12-2005, 07:56 PM
TECH Resident

what about the converter, he said a 60e verter and a 65e verter are different any one know about that as well?
Old 09-12-2005, 10:46 PM
TECH Junkie

i dont think so... ttt for you. I thought they were both the same as well... anyone?
Old 09-12-2005, 11:17 PM
Teching In

Default re 60 vs 65E

Hello guys, Craig here- my partner and I own a shop in Ada, Oklahoma. we just installed a 3500 stall in a 2004 GTO - were surprised to see a 60 in it- honestly, a 65 has an unbreakable rigid cast type drive shell, after intensive research and some answers from larry at transgo and a few of the engineers at transtar, we found that this is honestly the only difference- now the converter is different with different engines- like the LS1 takes a converter that is physically different than the standard LT1 ot 4.e etc. the pilot area is the main diff. but they are pulling your crane when they tell you 2200 is tops for these trans's- like I said, we installed a 3500 in a 2004 GTO with an LS1 so it had what everyone seems to be deciding is a 65E= you cant tell that unless your inside the unit- we build these everyday- ask any ? you want- we will be happy to answer them. Craig
Old 09-12-2005, 11:40 PM
TECH Junkie

there he is.. i was waiting for him to chime in. Craig is awesome.. helped me out with my delmia that I'm still invovled in. Hes the go to man about trannys
Old 09-13-2005, 02:04 AM
TECH Resident

so it looks like there is no way to tell from the outside? He said that the difference in the size of the converter is phenominal between the 60e and 65e and that his vendor didnt carry stalls that high for a 65e. I swear if I ever do another tranny job I will have someone look at the insides of this one for a 5 planetary. Thanks a million guys
Old 09-13-2005, 07:07 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Cant find the B.S. flag. If the SS guys (which came with the 65) can use a TB stall, it only makes sence they are the same converters. Ask your guy to put a 2800 for a SS in it.