Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Poly bushings....Good or Bad idea????

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 04:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poly bushings....Good or Bad idea????

I'm tired of hearing my rear suspension squeek on my 2002 Avalanche. I hear it every time I stop or accelerate. Sounds like my rear bushings are bone dry.

Anyhow, I was thinking about replacing them with energy suspension bushings. The only thing stopping me is I've read good and bad things about them. Like, they will start to squeek after a while.

Can anyone give me some real world experience with them. I don't want to hear "I have heard this or heard that". I want to hear from those who have actually used them.

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone???
Old 02-09-2012, 09:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've used them. They work fine but they do need to be greased to prevent them from squeeking. Honestly, I would spray your existing bushings with lube one at a time until you identify the noise maker.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my stock 175k mile springs in rear. I added the energy suspensio rear poly kit and the ride is so nice now. Its firmer in the curvs, but the ride is just overall enjoyable compared to before.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Robert91RS
I've used them. They work fine but they do need to be greased to prevent them from squeeking. Honestly, I would spray your existing bushings with lube one at a time until you identify the noise maker.
I tried that and it really didn't do anything. I'm going to buy a can of silicone spray today and drown those bastards. Hopefully it helps.
I really want to just replace the bushings since I'm doing the shocks (Bilsteins). I know they need to be lubed with the lube that comes in the package but I've heard of them squeeking later down the road. I just want to know if that's due to improper lubing/installation or if it's just the way it is with poly bushings.

Originally Posted by JoeyGC5
On my stock 175k mile springs in rear. I added the energy suspensio rear poly kit and the ride is so nice now. Its firmer in the curvs, but the ride is just overall enjoyable compared to before.
I heard it makes the suspension feel a bit more solid instead of sloppy, which is how it feels now. How many miles do you have on your poly bushings? Do you have Energy Suspension bushings?
Old 02-09-2012, 05:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got around 5k miles on it now Yes the energy suspension bushings part #3,2141 along with the McGauphys 2/3 drop kit and QA1's all the way around
Old 02-09-2012, 06:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, I guess I have no other option other than buying the Energy Suspension bushings. I just called around and the factory stuff isn't available solo. You need to purchase the control arms as well. Screw that!!!. I guess I'll be doing the front and rear at the same time. My truck is a 2002 with 116K miles on it. So might as well.

Thanks guys
Old 02-09-2012, 06:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

BTW, what's the cheapest place to buy them? I think Summit has the best price so far.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:20 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Pretty good chance that what you're hearing is a slip/stick on the rear driveline slip-yoke(unless you're hearing is on bumps & stuff too). Before you go through all the bushings, pull the rear driveline, and put grease in the splines. I use a moly lube, works well and lasts a long time. Worth trying IMO, before you go further.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
Pretty good chance that what you're hearing is a slip/stick on the rear driveline slip-yoke(unless you're hearing is on bumps & stuff too). Before you go through all the bushings, pull the rear driveline, and put grease in the splines. I use a moly lube, works well and lasts a long time. Worth trying IMO, before you go further.
The reason why I think it's the bushings and not the yokes is because I recently replaced the U-joints because of that crackling sound. Everything else looked good. Truck ran fine with no noises. Then I got hit while parked. The diff and control arms were damaged so they were replaced with used parts. The control arms actually looked like they were sitting outside for a while which lead me to believe that the bushings got dried out and they didn't lube them up prior to installation. 4 months after my truck got out of the body shop I slowly started hearing noises when accelerating from a dead stop and braking. I even got on the back of the truck and jumped up and down. Sure enough it was still making the noise. So I strongly believe it's the suspension bushings and not anything else.

But I think I'm going to just re-lube everything in the driveline while I'm in there. So thanks for the tip.

Quick Reply: Poly bushings....Good or Bad idea????