Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Possible torque converter problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 12:32 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Possible torque converter problem

Well guys it seems like I have a torque converter or transmission problem. About two and a half weeks ago my company truck was in the shop and it wasnt going to be ready until a couple of days after I had to be on location. So I had to take my personal truck (truck in sig) out to the location. I was inbetween Kerville and Junction when I noticed the transmission was running a little hot 175* or so. I have a big 40K trans cooler and it usually doesnt run that hot. It was 110* outside according to the temp gauge so I figured doing 80 in the texas heat wasnt helping. I also noticed that the rpm's were higher than normal. It was spinning 2900-3K at 80 when it usually spun 2650 or so. A little further down the road the temps crept up to 200* So I slowed down to 70 and the temps went down and the rpms were still high for doing 70 around 2500-2600K. I got to thinking the torque converter isnt locking because you would hit a hill and the rpms would just go up instead of the usual torque converter unlocking and going up a few hundred rpm and then if the hill was too big downshift to 3rd. So I put the trans in 3rd and sure enough the rpms went up like a regular downshift. Anyway I made it to location without it ever going over 205*. Stopped checked the fluid a few times and it was still red and didnt smell burnt. The truck threw a check engine light inbetween ozona and ft. stockton and I called my buddy at the dealership and he said it was the torque converter not locking, sure enough. Once I was on location town is about 30 miles or so away. If the truck sat and the trans was cool I could go to town and it would stay locked all the way there and sometimes all the way back. Sometimes it would come unlocked on the way back and not lock. Anyway, I dunno if the is an electrical issue or what the deal is. Normally I would have just turned around and went home but I didnt have any other vehicle and I was not about to put my job at risk by not showing up. This trans took a dump once already, 3rd gear let go. But Chuck and Vince took care of it and had me back on the road in no time. The trans is a FLT level 5 4L70E. Sorry for being long winded I just wanted to be detailed as possible so you guys have an idea of what was going on.

Sam

Last edited by Sambo53; 07-07-2008 at 12:41 PM.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like you have a converter related problem. What code did it set?
Old 07-07-2008, 02:28 PM
Launching!

The code was p0894.
Old 07-07-2008, 02:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 310 Likes on 226 Posts

I had the same problem with my performabuilt and frank called it "runout" in overdrive (I think that is what he called it). He sent me a different sized washer and seal for my servo and it fixed it. He also recommended I drive in manual 3rd until it was fixed. Do not drive in overdrive. Hope this helps.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by terravast4
I had the same problem with my performabuilt and frank called it "runout" in overdrive (I think that is what he called it). He sent me a different sized washer and seal for my servo and it fixed it. He also recommended I drive in manual 3rd until it was fixed. Do not drive in overdrive. Hope this helps.
Gotcha man, some good info was also posted up on another forum.
http://teamzr1.com/ubbthreads/ubbthr...at&Number=2421
I'm taking the truck back to stock to sell it. I'm selling everything I did to it seperatly I just wanna make sure the trans is ok before I sell it. I will probably call chuck tomorrow and when I take it out send it to them to go through and make sure its all good. If the torque converters shot oh well not much I can do about it.