Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Power steering went out after donuts.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 01:27 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering went out after donuts.

Hey guys I'm not sure if this is the right place for this post but I'm guessing it since its for handling. Well tonight after I pulled off some hard donuts I came to a stop and notice that my steering wheel was stuck when I tried to turn it. So I popped my hood thinking that my band went out but that was still there. A few of the guys in my car club that were rolling with me said I broke one of the little power steering bars that lead to the wheel (I forgot what they said it was called) well there was drops of what appeared to be steering fluid on the floor too and all over my rim. Any one have any ideas of what could have happened?
Old 12-03-2011, 01:50 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like you had a power steering hose break, or a power steering pump shaft break.
Old 12-03-2011, 02:15 AM
Formerly 99-2door-08/30/2010

The steering wheel is actually stuck or just very hard to turn?
Old 12-03-2011, 10:06 AM
On The Tree

No it's turns cause I drove it home and it's easier to turn once moving but very hard to turn once stoped. And there's a leak by the black little rubber thing that's coiled up I think it's a boot. By the wheel
Old 12-03-2011, 10:14 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

Well the obvious thing would be to check the fluid level, and if its low and you see fluid all over your driver side rim and engine area, then you probably broke a hose. If a tie-rod broke, your wheel would be pointing all over the place.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LaResvalosa
No it's turns cause I drove it home and it's easier to turn once moving but very hard to turn once stoped. And there's a leak by the black little rubber thing that's coiled up I think it's a boot. By the wheel
may have blown a seal in the rack.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 138 Likes on 91 Posts

I am thinking a rack seal too. However, to trouble shoot the pump, check the fluid reservoir while the engine is running. You should see the fluid swirling pretty vigorously. If it is the pump, I will advise you to go ahead and replace it with a new GM unit rather than remans from the parts store. I recently when thru 2 remans from O'Reileys, one made it ~300 miles, the other didn't make it out of the driveway.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:29 AM
On The Tree

I just bought a new pump from autozone to replace that. I already checked the fluids and the resovoir is full that's the weird thing. Both wheels are pointing in the same direction and turn perfect with the wheel they're just hard. I lm just not sure if it is my pump or a leak cause there are drop by the boot. Also before my power steering went out there was a loud squeaking noise for a few minutes and then it went away. Anyone?
Old 12-03-2011, 03:56 PM
On The Tree

Update: when i pulled out the old pump the little shaft of it was snapped so i was sure it was that but I just put in the new pump which was a total bitch. When I started the truck I heard a large crack followed by 2 other small cracks. And I still doesn't work. Any ideas will be appreciates
Old 12-03-2011, 04:55 PM
TECH Resident

Interesting I'd like to know the outcome when you solve it

Quick Reply: Power steering went out after donuts.