Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

power trax lockers NO or GO

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 04:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power trax lockers NO or GO

trying to get some info if the powertrax locker is anyless nosier than than the lockright locker. how well do they hold up under street use or will it wear out rather quick do to all the turning. also what kinda hp can they hold.

thanks
Old 09-29-2008, 04:18 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm going to suggest a truetrac unless you can get a steal on that thing.
It is one of the few tried and true lockers out there besides the eaton.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:41 PM
Launching!

I have a powertraxx in my 14 bolt 10.5 rearend. Quiet and works. Can't complain at all. Its suppose to be stronger than the Lock-Rite. Install was easy.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just ordered a new spring kit for my power trax cause they wore out. It has about 20 thousand miles on it.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a powertrax on my 95 Bronco with 35s. It was a snap to install, don't have to remove the gears or carrier, and it worked like a charm on the street for daily driving and off road.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:49 PM
TECH Addict

It relies on the strength of the stock carrier, I have no experience with one.
Old 10-11-2008, 02:33 PM
TECH Resident

They make two different styles. The no slip I believe is the original old style designed for pretty much pure off road use. They are noisy and kind of brutal engaging on the street but they serve the purpose. They air fairly cheap too. I believe its the Lock Rite that is designed for street use. Its more expensive but supposed to be a lot quieter and engage softer. I have never heard any real positive reviews on either though. Most either love it or hate it but its kind of 50/50. The true trac is actually cheaper...
Old 10-11-2008, 03:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They are a nice install for someone who can't install a carrier themselves. They are about as strong as a stock Gov-Lock.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:35 AM
hog
TECH Fanatic

I used to run the Powertrax no slip locker. I grenaded 2 of them. These are actual lockers. In gentle bends on the freeway if felt as though the truick wanted to go straight instead iof turning. If fought steering inputs.

In teh city around sharp corners you can hear a faint clunk clunck as the dog gears ratchet, if you give ANY throttle a loud clash will result. It alwaus felt like it was going to break my rearend.

When turning SHARPLY into parking spots, LOUD gear clash was heard, to the point that I would physically wince.

You MUSt have an open dif. Instal is easy. Its a Detroit EZ locker rip off. They had a patent battle years ago.
It will eventually wear out as the dog gears will chip and round off.

The Powertrax No Slip is a newer version of the Lock-rite. It is much quiter, but still has teh same dog gears that ratchet around the corners, and as with all metal to metal contact, it will eventually round off the corners and fail.

here is a good pic
http://www.expeditionexchange.com/sema2002/DSC01947.jpg

Here is a pic that shows the 4 hubs that will rub on 1 another going around corners.
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/cj5/2110-OL.gif

WHen the the work they work well. I just wish I had went with an Eaton Carbon clutch type, or the Detroit Truetrac.

As far as power holding, they can only hold as much as a stock open differential can. BTW a stock open dif case is stronger than a stock G80 case is. This is because there is more meat in an open case and less metal in the G80 case to allow the stock Gov lock to fit inside the carrier.

The True trac is also not the be all end all of LSDs. TheTrueTrac differential, like all limited slip designs, will only work if there is some load on each axle. If one wheel loses all traction (i.e. a wheel in the air), that wheel will spin and no torque will be transferred to the wheel with traction. If you are on ice, you MAY need to jam on thebrakes to get the True Trac to lock.

certainly not a true locker by any means. A locker like the Powertrax unit will transfer 50% torque each tire ALL the time, unless disengaged in a corner. I do remember a post where a few True trac owners were complaining that both tires were NOT spinning when doing a burnout. This is explained by 1 of thetires not having loa and then theTrue trac biases all the torque to that tractionless tire.

In doing so, I noticed MASSIVE wheelhop with the Powertrac Lock rite. Esp over washboard on gravel roads. I coudl apply ANY throttle whatsoever when on washboard, or therear would wheelhop so bad that it would rattle the fillings in your mouth. I had to lift off, evenat 10 mph.

As I study all the traction aids, like lockers and LSD', that the Air and Electric lockers are becoming more and more atractive.

peace
Hog
Old 10-12-2008, 06:14 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by hog
As I study all the traction aids, like lockers and LSD', that the Air and Electric lockers are becoming more and more atractive.

peace
Hog
Nice write up but in reference to this particular comment I completely agree. Being able to physically control when its locked and when its not is about as good as it gets. Too bad they cost more then I would like to spend.

Quick Reply: power trax lockers NO or GO