Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

problem installing gears

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default problem installing gears

I started trying to install my 4.10 gear set today and did not get past putting the pinion back in then removing it again. The pinion had to much play back and forth and the crush sleeve did not even crush any ideas? Should I have used more shims to start?
Old 05-10-2009, 10:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check your pm's
Old 05-10-2009, 10:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by lady3bglover
check your pm's
Why not post your reply here so anyone can use the information...

Old 05-10-2009, 11:00 PM
TECH Addict

Send a msg to AxisT6, he's the gear/posi man for my truck.

Happy?
Old 05-10-2009, 11:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dark Halo
I started trying to install my 4.10 gear set today and did not get past putting the pinion back in then removing it again. The pinion had to much play back and forth and the crush sleeve did not even crush any ideas? Should I have used more shims to start?
This a bit lenghty, but if you want a problem free installation, read every bit of it.

One of two problems:

1. You do not know that the pinion nut gets tight before the bearings seat in the races (not trying to be a jerk BTW).

2. You have a truck with a different inner pinion bearing and are trying to use the new bearing with the old race.

Given that you are doing this yourself, I will assume that you have already installed the new pinion bearing races. Also note again, some year model trucks have a different inner pinion bearing than what is standard in the master install kits. The difference is obvious. You MUST use the correct bearing with the correct race. Like said, if you installed the new races, this shouldn't be the problem.

Now, the 4.10 gear set for your axle requires .035" shim to achieve the correct pinion depth. The parts that should be on the pinion BEFORE putting it in the axle should be shims, inner pinion bearing, crush sleeve.

It takes 400+ ft. lbs. to crush the crush sleeve. The pinion nut will get tight before the bearings seat which means the pinion will have excessive play until the crush sleeve is crushed to the point that the bearings are fully seated in the races.

Be sure to use red lock tight on the pinion nut and oil the pinion seal and the contact surface of the pinion yoke. Also, prelube the inner and outer pinion bearings so that your preload readings are more accurate. Systematically tighten the pinion nut and check the play. Once you have achieved zero play, CAREFULLY tighten the the pinion nut in small increments until you have the correct pinion bearing preload. I cannot stress the importance of this because once the bearings are seated, preload increases very quickly with the slightest turn of the pinion nut. Pinion bearing preload must be measured with a bar-type, or any other NON-CLICK IN. LB. torque wrench. The proper amount of preload for the pinion is 14-19 in. lbs. If you over crush the sleeve, you will have to start over with a new crush sleeve.

Now for the backlash of the ring gear. I am assuming again that since you are doing the final pinion assembly that you have achieved the .006" - .010" backlash required for these gears using a dial indicator and a magnetic base. The differential + the shims MUST be a tight fit. You SHOULD NOT be able to grab the differential once it is in place (with the bearing caps removed) and pull it out under your own strenght. The best method I find for getting it in there tight is to install the differential with the ring gear side shims first. Once those parts are place, install the passenger side shims as far as you can with your hand, and then using a hammer and a punch, hammer them in the rest of the way.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the info, I was going to shoot you a pm today.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the info, I was going to shoot you a pm today.
No problem dude. Get those gears done, get em' broken in, and enjoy.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by axisT6
No problem dude. Get those gears done, get em' broken in, and enjoy.
what is your recommended break in time, The truck sees more track than street at this point. (it does not have exhaust on it just headers and an a pipe with thurn downs)
Old 05-11-2009, 07:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

what is your recommended break in time, The truck sees more track than street at this point. (it does not have exhaust on it just headers and an a pipe with thurn downs)
Oh. Well, ideally you should put 500 miles on the gears before you run them on the track. If that is not possible, then at least drive the truck for 30 minutes preferably down the highway at no more than 60 MPH. Afterwards, park the truck and let the differential cool completely. That will at least get the initial break-in done.

If you choose to fully break them in, after the initial break you should drive the truck as if a cop is behind you. No hard starts, no hauling, no towing till you 500 miles. Keep your speed under 60 as well.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by axisT6
Oh. Well, ideally you should put 500 miles on the gears before you run them on the track. If that is not possible, then at least drive the truck for 30 minutes preferably down the highway at no more than 60 MPH. Afterwards, park the truck and let the differential cool completely. That will at least get the initial break-in done.

If you choose to fully break them in, after the initial break you should drive the truck as if a cop is behind you. No hard starts, no hauling, no towing till you 500 miles. Keep your speed under 60 as well.
I will try to give it an hour or so on the back roads as I will have to do some tunning anyway. I just do not have registration or inspection on the truck but I hope God will watch out for me.

Quick Reply: problem installing gears