Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

PT.net Gear Install How-To

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 08:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

awesome write-up, i will be using this when i order some new gears
Old 04-07-2010, 09:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

great write up, ive got a question tho. Ive herd it mentioned on here if your just changing the carrier to say a tru-trac and no new gears that there is no adjustment necessary or shim change needed.
whats your thoughts on that, would everything like preloads and backlash be generally about the same??
Old 04-07-2010, 10:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by james8997
if axisT6 doesnt mind, i little tip for those of you who do not have access to a press.
a little heat goes a long way im not saying go nuts on bearings with the torch, but for bearings that are a pressed fit, you can put them in the oven on about 300-350 degrees, for about 30 min, and the bearing should slide right on. i advise against using a torch because it can/will heat up very fast and and will not heat evenly. Now i have used a torch before, but a oven is much better.

Iv used this for all sorts of bearings on PTOs, marine gears, etc.
I don't mind. If you do this, it needs to be a dedicated oven. I know my wife would be upset if she opens the oven to pop in a meatloaf and there is a set of bearings in there roasting.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea we have a small 'lab oven' at the shop we use, but i have used the house oven once
Old 04-07-2010, 10:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by skolman91
great write up, ive got a question tho. Ive herd it mentioned on here if your just changing the carrier to say a tru-trac and no new gears that there is no adjustment necessary or shim change needed.
whats your thoughts on that, would everything like preloads and backlash be generally about the same??
That is half true. The PINION shims don't need to be changed or adjusted with a simple diff swap. Example, the tru-trac is wider than the G80. In fact, it is wider to the point that I can't even install it with the OEM shims.

The proper way to handle a diff swap would be:

1. Measure current backlash as you will want this reading to be your target.
2. Remove old diff and swap the ring gear over using NEW ring gear bolts.
3. Install new diff bearings.
4. Using the old shims as reference, build a new set of shims about 10 thousanths thinner per side.
5. Follow the procedures written at the beginning of this thread for backlash.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

also, the only inch pound torque wrench i found only goes up to 15 inch pounds, its small lol. but for the 14 bolt, preload is between 15-22 inch pounds, so can i just get to 15, and than a little more and be ok?
Old 04-07-2010, 10:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

I know the pinion shims wouldnt change as you dont touch it, but that the tru-trac is wider than the G80 is great info.
this thread really should be sticky worthy..
Old 04-07-2010, 10:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by james8997
also, the only inch pound torque wrench i found only goes up to 15 inch pounds, its small lol. but for the 14 bolt, preload is between 15-22 inch pounds, so can i just get to 15, and than a little more and be ok?
Pinion Bearing Preload is a very important setting. Remember, as power is transfered through the ring and pinion, the gears will try to separate. If preload is too light, you could get a lot of pinion deflection under heavy acceleration, hauling, and towing. If preload is too heavy, you will overheat the pinion bearings.

If I were you, I would find the correct inch pound torque wrench with the appropriate range so that you know FOR SURE that you are in spec.

A gear install is something you want to get right the first time. Trust me.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by skolman91
I new the pinion shims wouldnt change as you dont touch it, but that the tru-trac is wider than the G80 is great info.
this thread really should be sticky worthy..
Thanks. I believe all diffs whether open, G80, Eaton, Auburn, Detriot, etc will be a little different in width.

BTW, why o why did you sell the Syclone?
Old 05-27-2010, 09:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm curious. Is a little gear noise normal during break in?

Quick Reply: PT.net Gear Install How-To