Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

putting in converter...need advise.

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 08:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default putting in converter...need advise.

I just got up from under the truck, and I must say, it looks a little intimidating. Now I've put a ton of converters in................but not in a 4 wheel drive truck. How do I get the trans back enough with the torsion bar mount in the way to put the converter in?? Or should I just pay someone to do it?? Cost to do it??
Old 01-18-2008, 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

i am pretty sure you will have to remove the torsion bar crossmember. much easier on a lift but can be done on jackstands. just be careful and patient.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:26 PM
12 Second Truck Club

yep torsion bar crossmember needs to come out. also need to pull off y-pipe which is a bitch cuz you need to get the truck up pretty high to clear the floor. I would say yanking the y-pipe and pulling out the weather packed connectors is the most difficult, lol. Also once you pull the cross member qnd lower the tranny down you need like a 3-4 foot extension to get the top bellhousing bolt out. or you can use a bunch of extensions together to reach in there.

Good luck!
Old 01-18-2008, 10:41 PM
On The Tree

Just unscrew the torsion bar bolts to take the tension off?? I'm putting the pacesetters in as we speak...............and the fuel pump/filter, and the off road y-pipe, custom exhaust with dynomax bullets, and wide band.

I have my work cut out for me. The plus side is , I see all kinds of weight to take off this heavy bitch.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:36 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn sounds like things are going good. The main thing is not to rush, get ahead of your self. Take time, there is always tommorow.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:56 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That the big thing , Take your time and think through every move, its really not that hard. Dont look at the whole job , Just one part at a time and you will be fine,
Old 01-19-2008, 05:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Blue06
I just got up from under the truck, and I must say, it looks a little intimidating. Now I've put a ton of converters in................but not in a 4 wheel drive truck. How do I get the trans back enough with the torsion bar mount in the way to put the converter in?? Or should I just pay someone to do it?? Cost to do it??
split the transfer case and itll give ya room too move i never took my torsion bar crossmember out .6-8 bolts and down it goes.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:15 AM
DrX
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue06
Just unscrew the torsion bar bolts to take the tension off??

You'll need a torsion bar unloading tool. See pic. Although various techniques have been described.

I didn't remove my torsion bars when I dropped my trans, but it would have been a lot easier if that crossmember wasn't there. Leave the headers etc. off until you finish with the trans. You'll appreciate the extra space.
Attached Thumbnails putting in converter...need advise.-torsion-bar-tool.jpg  
Old 01-19-2008, 10:04 AM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A adjustable two jaw puller does the same thing as the torsion bar tool if you have one of those. you can get the torsion bars out with-out the tool, but you need to pull one end of the shock. It's WAY easier just to get a puller, or like others have said, pull the t-case.
Couple things. Fill the converter with oil, replace and lube the TCC o-ring, MAKE SURE THE CONVERTER IS FULLY SEATED, and don't use the bolts to pull the trans to the engine!
Good luck!
Old 01-19-2008, 12:35 PM
On The Tree

Again............Thanks!! Last night I removed everything except the torsion bar mount. I think I have enough room to move the trans back and drop the front to access the converter. This is going to be messy. What wires/connectors do I have to dissconnect to make sure they dont get torn in the process?

Quick Reply: putting in converter...need advise.