Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Question: 1992 4L80e to link up to LR4 in 05 GTO

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 10:08 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by matt29201
ok thats good to know.. blue4.8 on here is also swapping an older 4l80e into his turbo project and we were wondering how to make it work
Cool, glad I could help. I think the rod costs about $5.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:45 PM
TECH Resident

The early 4L80Es up through 94 or 95 used a "silver can" pressure control solenoid that operated at a slower frequency than the later model "black can" pressure control solenoids do. The silver can ones also had a cleaning mode implemented into the code which was eliminated with the black can solenoid. The internal wiring harness is also different. It should still work fine but there are some minor service updates that will have to be addressed like the pressure control solenoid and internal harness as mentioned. Not a big deal as both are usually replaced during a rebuild.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:11 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by oldred95
The early 4L80Es up through 94 or 95 used a "silver can" pressure control solenoid that operated at a slower frequency than the later model "black can" pressure control solenoids do. The silver can ones also had a cleaning mode implemented into the code which was eliminated with the black can solenoid. The internal wiring harness is also different. It should still work fine but there are some minor service updates that will have to be addressed like the pressure control solenoid and internal harness as mentioned. Not a big deal as both are usually replaced during a rebuild.
Thanks for the info, Red!
Old 02-21-2012, 08:43 PM
TECH Resident

This is straight from my ATSG manual.

"Beginning at the start of production 1995 ALL THM 4L80E transmissions were built with a new force motor, new spacer plate and elimination of the torque signal compensator valve in the accumulator housing. The new force motor operates at the 614 Hz (cycles per second) instead of the previous 292.5 Hz, which obviously requires a new PCM. With the new design force motor, the need for the cleaning cycle is eliminated, so the force motor is no longer pulsed every 10 seconds by the PCM/TCM."

The reason was for improved line pressure stability and standarization as the same part will now fit the 4L80E, 4L60E and 4T80E.

Part numbers are as follows:

91-93 pressure control (force motor) solenoid 8677314
94 up pressure control (force motor) solenoid 8684216

Last edited by oldred95; 02-21-2012 at 08:49 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:53 PM
Launching!

This is straight from my ATSG manual.

"Beginning at the start of production 1995 ALL THM 4L80E transmissions were built with a new force motor, new spacer plate and elimination of the torque signal compensator valve in the accumulator housing. The new force motor operates at the 614 Hz (cycles per second) instead of the previous 292.5 Hz, which obviously requires a new PCM. With the new design force motor, the need for the cleaning cycle is eliminated, so the force motor is no longer pulsed every 10 seconds by the PCM/TCM."

The reason was for improved line pressure stability and standarization as the same part will now fit the 4L80E, 4L60E and 4T80E.

Part numbers are as follows:

91-93 pressure control (force motor) solenoid 8677314
94 up pressure control (force motor) solenoid 8684216
A guy from the GTO forum swapped a 92 4L80e trans onto his ls2. The tcm is a new harness made by pcmsforless which allows the it to run the 4L80e. I'm not sure if this is accounted for but I don't think he's having any issues with something like this.

Should I change out my force motor /accumulator housing or something???
Old 02-21-2012, 10:53 PM
TECH Resident

According to the ATSG manual is says none of the parts listed, the force motor, spacer plate, or elimination of the torque signal compensation valve interchange with pre 94 models. Going by that the 91-93 4L80Es seem to be their own animal.

I do remember in the Transgo shift kit instructions it talks about the silver can vs black can pressure control/force motor and says if you've got a silver can to upgrade it to a black can. If someone has their transgo instructions handy maybe they can elaborate on this. Mine are somewhere out in the garage...

Why are you guys using these old dinosaur transmissions anyway? Yea they are still a 4L80E but a 4L80E in its infancy. I personally would not go any older than a 96 which is what I've got. Thats just me though.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:50 AM
Launching!

According to the ATSG manual is says none of the parts listed, the force motor, spacer plate, or elimination of the torque signal compensation valve interchange with pre 94 models. Going by that the 91-93 4L80Es seem to be their own animal.

I do remember in the Transgo shift kit instructions it talks about the silver can vs black can pressure control/force motor and says if you've got a silver can to upgrade it to a black can. If someone has their transgo instructions handy maybe they can elaborate on this. Mine are somewhere out in the garage...

Why are you guys using these old dinosaur transmissions anyway? Yea they are still a 4L80E but a 4L80E in its infancy. I personally would not go any older than a 96 which is what I've got. Thats just me though.
Well until I read this I didn't know of any issue like this. I'll talk to pcmsforless as they might be able to program the clean stage into the tcm module.

The trans itself is cheap. I didn't think there were any huge differences, at least differences I cared about, between the two.

I have no transgo instructions. Maybe I can do a search on rockauto and hopefully get an idea of what these parts will run.

Thanks

Last edited by Quicklynx; 02-22-2012 at 07:55 AM. Reason: Realized the part #'s are listed in an above thread.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:59 AM
Launching!

Doing a search I could find the "silver can" solenoid for ~$260. Wow...

I couldn't find the "black can" on there. I'll search some more. If I do need to replace it, if I even can, I really hope it's not $260.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Usually the cheaper stuff ends up costing you more in the long run.
Maybe you can sell it and get a newer one that you can just drop in?
Throw a HD2 shift kit in it and ride.

The only bad thing bout the stock torque converter is, its really heavy.
I could brake stall mine to 2900-3100 on 6psi behind my LQ4. But just the weight ofthe converter is crazy.
And in a heavy truck it feels like a semi loose stall. But in your car im sure its gonna be alot tighter.
What gears do those carsc ome with? 3.45s?
Old 02-22-2012, 11:11 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by nonnieselman
Usually the cheaper stuff ends up costing you more in the long run.
Maybe you can sell it and get a newer one that you can just drop in?
Throw a HD2 shift kit in it and ride.

The only bad thing bout the stock torque converter is, its really heavy.
I could brake stall mine to 2900-3100 on 6psi behind my LQ4. But just the weight ofthe converter is crazy.
And in a heavy truck it feels like a semi loose stall. But in your car im sure its gonna be alot tighter.
What gears do those carsc ome with? 3.45s?
I want to say either 3.41 or 3.46. I don't know off the top of my head.

Even if I got a newer one I don't think I would be able to just drop it in. I haven't found many newer 4L80e trans running for less than $800. I don't know if you guys are getting them for less and I'm just looking in the wrong place.

If I end up having to get some of the parts mentioned above I think I still come out below the cost. I'll have to map out the cost of everything and see. Not that cost is an issue, but why spend more if I don't need to?

I guess for less headaches, maybe, but if I do get it to work then at least it can help others in the future that want to do it.

Quick Reply: Question: 1992 4L80e to link up to LR4 in 05 GTO