Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Question with going from 4/6 drop to 2/4 drop with no stock parts

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 08:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Question with going from 4/6 drop to 2/4 drop with no stock parts

I bought the 99 GMC, I currently drive, with a DJM 4/6 flip kit drop already installed and because of that don't have any of the stock parts.

Taking that into consideration what all would I need to be able to change that to a 2/4 drop? Preferably with aftermarket 2-4" drop leafs.

Could I just get away with buying 2" drop coils to replace for front and drop leafs for the back? or would that require stock control arms for front and stock brackets for the axle for the leafs? (I am not familiar with the stock suspension to know whether my truck has stock control arms or not, and what I would need to do to make it a 2" drop in front from here.)

I don't want to do helper bags or anything like that. Just looking to raise the truck some so its not such a pain in the *** scraping, bottoming out, breaking shock mounts, and so it can actually carry a little weight in the back.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Last edited by Darknight-4; 06-29-2011 at 08:12 AM.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:01 PM
On The Tree

Anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited by Darknight-4; 06-29-2011 at 05:08 PM.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:30 AM
On The Tree

bump.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:49 AM
Praise The Lowered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Darknight-4
I bought the 99 GMC, I currently drive, with a DJM 4/6 flip kit drop already installed and because of that don't have any of the stock parts.

Taking that into consideration what all would I need to be able to change that to a 2/4 drop? Preferably with aftermarket 2-4" drop leafs.

Could I just get away with buying 2" drop coils to replace for front and drop leafs for the back? or would that require stock control arms for front and stock brackets for the axle for the leafs? (I am not familiar with the stock suspension to know whether my truck has stock control arms or not, and what I would need to do to make it a 2" drop in front from here.)

I don't want to do helper bags or anything like that. Just looking to raise the truck some so its not such a pain in the *** scraping, bottoming out, breaking shock mounts, and so it can actually carry a little weight in the back.

Any help would be great.

Thanks
Lets start up front...If you have a 4" LCA than you will either need to get a 2" lca , or go to a stock LCA with a 2" drop coil or 2" spindle..That is if you have a tubular (not stamped) LCA in there right now..If not you may have a spindle/spring drop..to raise 2" you will need to switch one or the other with its stock counterpart..

Out Back you have a flip kit..adding drop leafs will lower you more...So to get to 4" you either need to get a rear lift shackle (if there is NOT already one in there) or flip the axle back to the stock side and do a 1)2" shackle/2" hanger combo or 2)4" drop leafs with stock shackle hanger..

plug:I have some McGaughys 4" drop leafs for sale or trade fyi..PM me fort more info as well
Old 07-03-2011, 12:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RibeiroBJJ
Lets start up front...If you have a 4" LCA than you will either need to get a 2" lca , or go to a stock LCA with a 2" drop coil or 2" spindle..That is if you have a tubular (not stamped) LCA in there right now..If not you may have a spindle/spring drop..to raise 2" you will need to switch one or the other with its stock counterpart..

Out Back you have a flip kit..adding drop leafs will lower you more...So to get to 4" you either need to get a rear lift shackle (if there is NOT already one in there) or flip the axle back to the stock side and do a 1)2" shackle/2" hanger combo or 2)4" drop leafs with stock shackle hanger..

plug:I have some McGaughys 4" drop leafs for sale or trade fyi..PM me fort more info as well
Am I right in assuming the spindle connects the upper and lower control arms and attaches to the hub/rotor, etc?

because it looks like the front drop is a spindle/spring drop. Neither of the control arms are tubular and they look like they would have came on the vehicle from the factory.

I did end up finding some of the stock parts and I have what appears to be the stock springs, spindles (I think?), and leaf spring brackets.

So with that information, the easiest way to go to a 2/4 drop for the front would be by just putting the stock springs back in?

And the back I think I would still want to do aftermarket leaf drop.

1. What all is needed to install the stock springs again (removing the shock, compressing the spring, etc?)?

2. And what is involved in changing the leaf springs? (Do I need to remove the bed or drop the gas tank to get to things?)

Last edited by Darknight-4; 07-03-2011 at 01:26 PM.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:57 AM
Praise The Lowered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Darknight-4
1)Am I right in assuming the spindle connects the upper and lower control arms and attaches to the hub/rotor, etc?

2)because it looks like the front drop is a spindle/spring drop. Neither of the control arms are tubular and they look like they would have came on the vehicle from the factory.

3)I did end up finding some of the stock parts and I have what appears to be the stock springs, spindles (I think?), and leaf spring brackets.

4)So with that information, the easiest way to go to a 2/4 drop for the front would be by just putting the stock springs back in?

And the back I think I would still want to do aftermarket leaf drop.

1. What all is needed to install the stock springs again (removing the shock, compressing the spring, etc?)?

2. And what is involved in changing the leaf springs? (Do I need to remove the bed or drop the gas tank to get to things?)
1)Correct
2)Ok, so just remove the spring, and replace the drop spring with the factory one
3)If you decide to reverse the flip kit, you do not need anything other than maybe stock rear shackles..not sure if thats what you mean by "brackets"
4)correct
1. just remove the shock,unbolt the top balljoint, bang it loose and put the stock spring in, no compressing required..
2.As I said above, just unbolt everything and put the axle back on top with the old oem hardware (a flip kit is a saddle for leafs, and sometimes longer u-bolts)