Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

questions about lifting my truck different ways

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 10:41 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default questions about lifting my truck different ways

i have a few questions about how to jack up my truck, is it possible to use stock torsion keys to go 2 inches in the front without harshness or harm done to the truck? would i need longer shocks? and id go with blocks in the back i want to go like 4 inches or close to it, even if its like 3 in back and 2 in front id be ok. whats the best way, and money is kind of a factor. im also looking at a rough country full leveling kit for like 200 bucks. how are they?
i want to put bigger tires, but i dont want to beat up my truck and i want it to still pull and haul normal and not get that sag look cuz it sits level. so maybe id have to go with add a leafs as well as a taller block. what all do i need? long shackles i know, a block, add a leafs( how much do they add weight wise) but do i need longer shocks? and for the front, what are my options?
thanks for the help and sorry if this has been asked already, i looked but could not find. thanks
Old 06-27-2010, 11:00 PM
TECH Addict

The rough country kit isn't bad at all for the money
Old 06-27-2010, 11:03 PM
Staging Lane

how high will it get the front end? i'm kind of realizing that with torsion or torsion related front end lifts i cant go that high, due to the rough ride and damage to the vehicle. so i may need to just go with add a leafs in back to get me another couple inches and go as high as i can up front to get it up off the tires a bit. i figure i can go 2 inches up front on torsion ( thats pushing it i knw) with new shocks so i dont top out, and go with either a block in back or a few more leafs.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:13 AM
TECH Addict

If you go with the rough country kit more than likely you will be able to lvl it out with the 1" taller block in the rear you can get 3" out of them on some trucks and some trucks will barly get 2"... Main thing you just wanna make sure everything stays at a decent angle and you aren't sitting on your bump stops
Old 06-29-2010, 01:47 AM
Teching In

You are going into dangerous territory with torsion keys. Yea, it gives the good looks of leveled out lift when you aren't towing, but later down the road it causes costly problems. I have my torsion keys cranked with a kit that claimed to keep in the safe zone and I have had to replace steering linkage parts and CV joints in the front axles, all from the torsion keys putting everything in my front end at steep angles. The best thing would be to look for a lift kit that gives a higher lift up front than in back. If you really want to do torsion keys, I would recommend 1", 1.5" absolute tops. That's just IMO
Old 07-28-2010, 12:49 PM
Staging Lane

i appreciate the info! thanks, im still up in the air about what to do, i have taller blocks for the back, but the front is tricky. i want to lift it right around 3 inches, but i cant find any place to piece out a lift kit. im just at a loss.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:32 PM
TECH Addict

just leave the stock blocks in the rear and crank it to level and it will be fine....now if you go to cranking and trying to get like 4" out of your front end your gunna have problems because everything is at such bad angles where it puts everything in a bind and it will wear the balljoints, tie rod ends, axles, etc but it will be fine just cranked to level i been do it for years
Old 07-28-2010, 09:25 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Bumpers
just leave the stock blocks in the rear and crank it to level and it will be fine....now if you go to cranking and trying to get like 4" out of your front end your gunna have problems because everything is at such bad angles where it puts everything in a bind and it will wear the balljoints, tie rod ends, axles, etc but it will be fine just cranked to level i been do it for years
i dont mind the level look, but i want it to sit higher. i was hoping 3- 5 inches
Old 07-31-2010, 07:04 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

I went with the Rough Country Full leveling kit on my truck. Can't beat the price for the mild lift, and 4 new shocks to go with it. Like said above, even a mild lift is hard on parts unless you *****-foot around with your truck. Mine still hauls junk to the dump, hauls scrap, and sometimes pulls a trailer. I did go through 2 idler arms and one pitman arm before adding the Cognito Motorsports idler/pitman arm support kit, which "fixed" that issue.

Here's my truck with the RC kit and 33's (with factory flares that "hide" a half inch or more of space between tire and fender)

For comparison sake...
to give you an idea how it changed, here it is, bone stock, as I bought it a few years ago...