Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Radix and stock tranny cooler

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 10:08 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radix and stock tranny cooler

Still deciding if a Radix is what I need. 2004 GMC 2500 HD 6.0 L 4wd auto. I already have e-fans from Flexalite and noticed my tranny temps are a bit higher when fans are not on. I plan on adding a larger tranny cooler or even a second cooler and keep the stock as well. This is so come cold weather I can use valves and just bypass the second tranny cooler. Has anyone done this or had issues when mounting the intercooler. I here there are brackets to relocate the tranny cooler ( not part of Radix kit). Is this utilizing the openings in the bumper for air flow? Who sells these brackets? I am using it for towing and am not sure about sandwiching the tranny cooler between rad and intercooler. Any help is appreciated.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:31 PM
TECH Addict

How about thid
https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...chmentid=34255
Old 04-17-2006, 11:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 2004Denali
That will not work in my appication. Way to much gravel roads around here with mud and rocks. Would not last 1 week. Good oh highway though.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:54 AM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The water in the Radix intercooler will rarely even come close to engine coolant temp. I had a gauge on my intercooler line for over a year and the most I saw it get to under normal use was about 150. It hit 180 once, but I was sitting in a parking lot with the engine running and a/c on for about two hours during the hottest part of summer (110 or so outside). It would be a good idea to add to or replace the stock cooler, but I very much doubt you will run into any kind of problem sandwiching the coolers together.

BTW - that pic that 2004Denali posted is of my truck. I offroad from time to time, had the coolers like that for just about a year and probably 25K miles, everything is still working great. Never gotten a rock or anything into the coolers. Plus, the fans protect them. It wouldn't be tough to replace a $30 fan on the off chance that something big enough to do some damage bounced up and hit them.
Old 04-18-2006, 07:34 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by thunder550
The water in the Radix intercooler will rarely even come close to engine coolant temp. I had a gauge on my intercooler line for over a year and the most I saw it get to under normal use was about 150. It hit 180 once, but I was sitting in a parking lot with the engine running and a/c on for about two hours during the hottest part of summer (110 or so outside). It would be a good idea to add to or replace the stock cooler, but I very much doubt you will run into any kind of problem sandwiching the coolers together.

BTW - that pic that 2004Denali posted is of my truck. I offroad from time to time, had the coolers like that for just about a year and probably 25K miles, everything is still working great. Never gotten a rock or anything into the coolers. Plus, the fans protect them. It wouldn't be tough to replace a $30 fan on the off chance that something big enough to do some damage bounced up and hit them.
Thank you for the good info, I guess I just dont like the idea of preheating my tranny cooler with 150-180* air when my tranny is already running hotter than it used to. I have dammaged or ripped that skid plate off under the front a half dozen times or so, so intercooler there is not my best choice. Just don't seem to have luck on the back roads, not that I go off roading at all. There seems to be a lot of clearance in the front bumper and there is huge holes for air flow. Is that the tranny cooler or intercooler that 2004Denali is showing?
Old 04-18-2006, 09:13 AM
High on diesel fumes

Dual tranny coolers.

Do you have a trans temp gauge?
Attached Thumbnails Radix and stock tranny cooler-dscn1265.jpg  
Old 04-18-2006, 09:33 AM
TECH Addict

Thunder550,
I hope you don't mind that I keep showing your coolers I just haven't had time to take pictures of mine mounted. Most of the time I say they are on your truck
Mark
Old 04-18-2006, 09:34 AM
High on diesel fumes

Nope doesn't bother me at all
Old 04-19-2006, 12:06 AM
Launching!

Dual tranny coolers.

Do you have a trans temp gauge?
Yes I have a guage.

The reason behind running two (one stock and a second one of similar size, side by side) is so I can still run just the stock one if I can bypass the second with shut off valves. This is only for really cold weather, I have heard of many cases that when trannys are too cold they may not get overdrive. I may not do this, but I am giving it some thought. All depends on how much room I will have if I do go with the Radix.