Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Really trying to understand................

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 11:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Really trying to understand................

. the detest for torsion bar drop. I can understand the cranking up or down affects the preload of the torsion bar and pretty much affects the entire behavior of the spring, but what about keys that alter the hex point thus leaving the original spring properties intact. I'd love to go spindle for my desired 2" front drop( I really like the stock ride of the truck) but want to stay with 16" wheels on my 4x4 and found that I would loose a good deal of turning radius. So I'm onto looking at reindexing the torsion bars.
Other than the joints sitting at different angles and possible alignment issues what's so wrong with diferent keys...............
Old 08-31-2008, 11:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The keys adjust the spring the same way the bolts do. The ride should be the same if you use keys or the bolts. The contol arms change length with angle at different height settings, this is what causes the difference in spring rate. The shorter the control arm gets when the suspension is topped out the stiffer the spring will act. When the contol arm is completely level its leverage point on the spring is the greatest and should act softest. I think a change in ride quality can also come from the shock operating in a new area with less internal wear (if the shocks are used).
Old 08-31-2008, 11:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thank you very much. Has anyone gotten the McGaughy's 16" spindles and modified them at all to maintain/ restore turning radius..................
Old 08-31-2008, 07:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes all you have to do is grind down where the lower ball joint hits the spindle, not that much either I did one personally for a bagged truck I built. Doesn't effect strength either, however you are 4wd so the 16" ones will NOT work. You need the 17+
Old 09-01-2008, 03:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks Racer- but since having to use the 17+ spindles I'd need 17" wheels, no? Say- can I pirate some spindles off a 2001 Tahoe 4WD maybe? They sit lower...............

Last edited by Mark Johnson; 09-01-2008 at 04:40 PM.
Old 09-01-2008, 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

yes you need 17''s and no the all the spindles are universal on that platform light duty truck. Tahoe sit lower because of the torsion bar code may be a SUV ride torsion bar, and it could be decranked.... but just using there torsion bar won't help. If you want to keep it GM get HD keys they will allow about 2" lowering.
Old 09-01-2008, 05:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah- again thanks. But won't the keys perform the same funtion as decranking the bars? I think I'll go ahead and play with the bars some first and see how far I can go while maintaining an acceptable ride. Sure, I'd like to yank the rear blocks but I'd like to keep a little rake. Again- thanks for all the infor and input.......................
Old 09-01-2008, 05:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You could use the purple code keys for a slight drop. They are stock on the 2500's and SS Silverado. When used on a regular 1/2 ton they lower it. Then green code key's like would be stock on your truck will raise a 3/4 ton. Mind you, it's not a whole lot of a drop, but shouldn't ride much if any different than an SS would.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hey- thanks, Bear, and Racer. I don't have an issue with keeping the truck all GM, which is why I'm eyeballing the MgGaughy spindles 'cause I'd really like to keep my 16" wheels- yes cost being the first reason. I don't mind clearancing a few key spots on the spindle or grinding down a ball joint stud...........