Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Rear Detroit TT Install

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 01:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Rear Detroit TT Install

Guys,
Within the next few weeks I am going to try and install my first set of gears and carrier. OEM 4.10's with a Detroit TrueTrac. I've bought a complete NOS front differential with 4.10's to cover the front end gear swap.

I am going to time it with a suspension drop. Lower control arms up front and hanger shackle change in the rear.

I am thinking that since this is my first install and since I'll be deep into the rear suspension that I will just pull the whole rearend and get it out from under the truck to help with the setup. Am I ? Should I just leave it in the truck and do it there? I don't have a lift. Will be doing it on the garage floor.
Old 12-31-2006, 05:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might want to shoot AxisT6 a PM for any install tips and info. As he is the rearend guru around my area and really knows his stuff. With OEM (AAM) 4.10's the backlash is very tight (3-6 thousandths) and will be much harder to install than a quality aftermarket gear such as Yukon. Just something to consider since this is you first install.

Last edited by SlvrSierra4.8; 12-31-2006 at 05:23 PM.
Old 12-31-2006, 05:26 PM
FormerVendor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

get you some good tall jackstands! No need to take out the whole rear end!

Start early, this may take a long time if you fall into problems
Old 12-31-2006, 06:36 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i did both my detroit installs with truck on jack stands and rearend in place. i recomend removeing the sparetire and tire hanger. because it will **** you off when you nail your head on it. lol
Old 12-31-2006, 06:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Think about your driveshaft balance, and maybe a safety loop. That's what I'm going to do. The factory balance on the truck shaft leaves alot on the table. I'm going to go with either a chrome-moly, or aluminum shaft with 1350 universals, and a highspeed balance. I bought a loop today at Summit, just have to modify it to fit on my truck. The driveline on our trucks is pretty good, already, but with a good driveshaft with 1350 universals, it should never give you problems. If you decide to go that way, look into getting a pinion yoke for 1350's while you have everything apart. Maybe some c-clip eliminators, too. Man.........it just keeps going on, and on! IT NEVER ENDS!!!!
Old 12-31-2006, 07:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 4.8T
i did both my detroit installs with truck on jack stands and rearend in place. i recomend removeing the sparetire and tire hanger. because it will **** you off when you nail your head on it. lol
Looks like another dive under the truck.

Thanks for the tip... I'll drop the spare. Need to anyway. Its never been out from under it.
Old 12-31-2006, 07:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by wkdivr
Think about your driveshaft balance, and maybe a safety loop. That's what I'm going to do. The factory balance on the truck shaft leaves alot on the table. I'm going to go with either a chrome-moly, or aluminum shaft with 1350 universals, and a highspeed balance. I bought a loop today at Summit, just have to modify it to fit on my truck. The driveline on our trucks is pretty good, already, but with a good driveshaft with 1350 universals, it should never give you problems. If you decide to go that way, look into getting a pinion yoke for 1350's while you have everything apart. Maybe some c-clip eliminators, too. Man.........it just keeps going on, and on! IT NEVER ENDS!!!!
You are right. Never ends. I am going to at least a good drive shaft sometime. Already looking. Meantime I do need a balance check. Can't find anybody that does it in the area. Central KY you know. Just got indoor plumbing couple years ago.
Old 12-31-2006, 08:30 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KySilverado
Looks like another dive under the truck.

Thanks for the tip... I'll drop the spare. Need to anyway. Its never been out from under it.

the hanger only has like one bolt holding it on too. i leaned back and smacked my head on it. it came out quickly after that.