Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Rear disk brakes....

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 09:27 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW, within our immediate family, we've owned 3 of the GM trucks that had rear disc brakes ('00 Sierra, '02 Sierra, '03 Silverado) and all three of them when they needed a brake job for the first time it was the rears that were wore out, which is in direct contradiction to every vehicle I've ever owned. (Usually, the front wears first as that is where most of the braking is done due to weight transfer...) I always thought it to be a brake line proportioning block issue on these new trucks (too much bias towards the rear, and with ABS it's hard to tell) though I suppose it could be that more road grit gets into the rears causing them to wear sooner...

Anyway, that said, we never had any problems with the rear discs and I actually prefer them to drums as they are easier to work on... Unfortunately my new truck (in sig) has the rear drums...

Also, when I traded in my '02 Sierra with 102K mi. on it (original owner), she was still on the original factory front pads/rotors with plenty of pad material and the rotors wearing evenly...

Needless to say, I've never had a problem with the factory GM brakes on these trucks...
Old 09-16-2008, 12:49 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had trouble with my rear brakes. The parking brake had came out of adjustment and rubbed the drum on both sides. Apparently there is a new band/pad that has an adjuster that isn't as troublesome? Currently my parking brake is disconected due to this. I'll deal with it over the winter!
Old 09-16-2008, 07:59 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2 tone 02
I've had trouble with my rear brakes. The parking brake had came out of adjustment and rubbed the drum on both sides. Apparently there is a new band/pad that has an adjuster that isn't as troublesome? Currently my parking brake is disconected due to this. I'll deal with it over the winter!
Usually the parking brake retaining clip breaks and causes the horseshoe shaped e-brake shoe to shift and rub the inside of the rotor, there is a re-designed retaining clip that comes with the new e-brake shoes. Chances are the "drum" part of your rear rotors are wiped out requiring that the rotors be replaced.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by budhayes3
Usually the parking brake retaining clip breaks and causes the horseshoe shaped e-brake shoe to shift and rub the inside of the rotor, there is a re-designed retaining clip that comes with the new e-brake shoes. Chances are the "drum" part of your rear rotors are wiped out requiring that the rotors be replaced.
They are, so I just pulled the shoes and everything and will replace it all this winter. I needed a quick fix because there were making a hellatious noise! GM is the only place to get the new rear shoes and rotors correct?
Old 09-16-2008, 08:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

The Silverado SS rear disk brake setup will bolt up to a stock 10-bolt?
Old 09-16-2008, 09:06 PM
Launching!

I have broken 4 or 5 of the rear calipers on my truck the park break has not worked for years. I keep a spare caliper and not a spare tire.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:34 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2 tone 02
They are, so I just pulled the shoes and everything and will replace it all this winter. I needed a quick fix because there were making a hellatious noise! GM is the only place to get the new rear shoes and rotors correct?
There are alot of rotor options (aftermarket, performance aftermarket, etc.), not sure about the e-brake shoes though, I got mine from the dealer.
Old 09-17-2008, 03:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've got my truck for less than 1 year now and it has 25000 kms on it unfortunately I changed the brakes Twice 2 times front 1 time rear The dealer did a recall when I took my truck they said no your truck is fine. I will go to them tommorrow and see whats the problem now my brakes are installed from 3 weeks and they Started to wear out already.

And beside that I cant find aftermarket brakes for it.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:40 PM
Staging Lane

I have a 2000 Suburban 1500 with the rear disc brakes and 130K on the truck. The brakes, front and rear, seem to be getting normal mileage on the pad and rotor sets... but my problem is the rear backing plates. They have rusted out so badly that the bottom half is completely gone! I've talked to a few other 2000 & newer GM truck owners with the same problem. I know they use a lot of salt on MN highways, but the rusting must be related to those backing plates: poor coating or plating; cheap imported steel; or what?

Has anyone on here had this problem too? Are there better, aftermarket backing plates that won't rust out like the GM factory units?

Mike
Old 09-22-2008, 05:52 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can take 10bolt disks and toss them on a drum rear. i did this i went from a 10bolt with disks to a 14bolt with drums and added my disks. not much effort besides removing and installing. just have to pull axles to install new backing plates

Quick Reply: Rear disk brakes....