Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Rear drums?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 06:37 PM
5 year bitches!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they did it since GM rotors get distorted and deteariate on hte insides badly within short mileage. that and under load they claim th drums are better but who knows
Old 06-12-2006, 07:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 05-06 trucks have larger discs up front than prevous years with the addition of the rear drums. This setup will outstop a stock 4W disk truck from previous years easily. The peedle feel is much better as well versus the 02-03 trucks.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:21 PM
5 year bitches!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what size are the fronts
Old 06-12-2006, 08:58 PM
TECH Veteran

I dont know but my 01 RCSB with 4 wheel disk brakes was harder to stop than my 06 crewcab with drums. My new one stops much much better!
Old 06-12-2006, 11:25 PM
KB
13 Second Truck Club

Well good deal then lol. I guess the only negative is they're a little less appealing visually then the discs...but if the larger rotors compensates for the rear drums in stopping power then I'll be a happy camper.
Old 06-13-2006, 05:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Exclamation

Sorry, but the rear drums SUCK! They do pulsate and make the rear of your truck slightly bounce when you come to a stop sometimes.
You'll find this out sooner or later like I did.
The braking power is an improvement, but.......I found that when the drums are heated up during hot summer towing they have a lot of brake fade!!!!!! They still fade without towing in the heat. They fade a lot.
So, improvement.......I don't think so. They are of poor quality design.
I have to say, the 05' & up GM trucks with the rear drum brakes is the only truck that I can tell when I'm driving it, that lets me know it has drum brakes.
We have a 2000 Ford SCSB work truck and it has rear drum brakes. They are of a lot better quality that the ones GM uses. They are smooth, powerfull, and quiet. GM's should hve been the same way.
But, there not. Another strike for GM!
Old 06-13-2006, 03:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Mine did that when i put my 22's on but then i realized i didnt take the little tiny brake clips off the drums on the one stud. lol

Once i took them off, it was smooth as could be.
Old 06-13-2006, 03:47 PM
KB
13 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied02
Mine did that when i put my 22's on but then i realized i didnt take the little tiny brake clips off the drums on the one stud. lol

Once i took them off, it was smooth as could be.
Would you mind elaborating on that? Is that something that is on the drums from the factory? (apologies if this is a retarded question lol)

I noticed my brakes pulsate as well and I've only got 200 babied miles on her.
Old 06-13-2006, 04:14 PM
TECH Veteran

When you take the stock rims off, there are tiny little ring clips around one of the studs on both drum brakes in the rear. Its easy to not notice them cause they blend in. You gotta pull those off with a flat head or something that can pull them away from the drum so there is nothing there when you put the other wheels on. They made my truck pulse like a ***** until i talked to someone and they told me what to do.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied02
When you take the stock rims off, there are tiny little ring clips around one of the studs on both drum brakes in the rear. Its easy to not notice them cause they blend in. You gotta pull those off with a flat head or something that can pull them away from the drum so there is nothing there when you put the other wheels on. They made my truck pulse like a ***** until i talked to someone and they told me what to do.
Sorry, but I have to correct you. The factory wheels have notches made in them for the retainer clips. Only aftermarket wheels require the removal of the retainer clips. And, yes if you place aftermarket wheels on and don't remove the retainer clips, you will get bad vibrations.
The rear drums have a flaw. They do pulsate. Some people don't realize it's the rear drum brakes causing these pulsations. Others don't even care to notice.
If you pay attention every time you brake after they are heated up after normal use, you will begin to notice the pulsations. Especially when your creaping to a slow stop, you feel it grab and let go. The metal they used for the drums is too thin or a cheap metal grade type.
Also, if you remove the drums, you will notice that the set-up of the shoes retainers are different and not like most drums on cars or trucks.
A mechanic actually said he couldn't believe GM used that type of drum set-up again. Meaning they did the same design many years ago on some cars that had these same issues that I am having.
Basically GM made a bad move with this type of drum design. If they would have used the tried and true drum set-up like other auto manufacturers, then we would not be having these pulsation issues.
That's my .02 cents on the rear drums.
Oh yeah, my truck has been in for warranty repairs 11 times for this issue. They keep trying to repair it too. The problem keeps resurfacing. Even their master brake tech told me that GM used a bad design and that there is no solution or recall that they will be issuing as of yet. He even said GM should issue out a TSB on this. He has had many of the 05' & 06' modeled trucks in for this problem already. He also said GM should be anylizing all these warranty brake jobs and will eventually do away with their rear drum set-up pretty soon.

Jim

Quick Reply: Rear drums?