Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids
View Poll Results: Which rear end for me
Eaton
61.36%
Detroit tru trak
31.82%
other
6.82%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Rear end

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 02:10 PM
MOOBIES Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eaton and Motive 4.11's here. So far so good!
Old 06-28-2006, 06:07 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Love my eaton
Old 06-29-2006, 02:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Alburn Pro and it is a very agressive unit. But if you want to drift your pick-up. The Alburn Pro will hold.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:32 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I ocasionally do some 4wd drifting, but not too much.
Old 06-29-2006, 05:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by trever1t
TruTrac.
Clutchless
Dont need additives.
Can use Synthetic oil.
Dependable.
Works like a charm.
What, you can't use a full synthetic with an Eaton?? And what additives?? I just got my Eaton today and I'm installing it this weekend. What kind of lubricant should I use??

James

Didn't mean to steal this thread!!! This post just caught my eye....
Old 06-29-2006, 08:28 PM
Teching In

an auburn has been in my truck for 3 years and i have never had a promblem with it.
Old 06-30-2006, 04:33 PM
Fast lane preferred

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rcsb4.8to6.0
an auburn has been in my truck for 3 years and i have never had a promblem with it.

I like my eaton, and the clutches are replaceable and you can buy more aggressive ones if you want to.
Old 06-30-2006, 05:23 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Originally Posted by closet red neck
What, you can't use a full synthetic with an Eaton?? And what additives?? I just got my Eaton today and I'm installing it this weekend. What kind of lubricant should I use??
James
Didn't mean to steal this thread!!! This post just caught my eye....
It's my understanding that all clutch type limited slip differentials require an additive for the clutches.
Old 06-30-2006, 06:41 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by trever1t
It's my understanding that all clutch type limited slip differentials require an additive for the clutches.
Yeah, with Aurburn 6 ounces of the GM additive will treat 2 quarts of fluid (6 ounces are supplied with the differential).
Old 07-01-2006, 09:00 PM
hog
TECH Fanatic

The additive is a "friction modifier", it keeps the clutch packs inside the Eaton Carbon LSD, from chattering. The old GM friction modifier additive used to be made out of whale oil. Thank goodness it has been synthesized in a lab. The Ford friction modifier smells like death, its far worse than the GM stuff.

The Eaton LSD is available with 200, 400 or 800 lb preload springs in it. The 200lb and 400 lb springs are available with the carbon fibre clutches. The 800 preload unit is not. eaton uses a different clutch material for the very agressive 800 lb unit.
The higher the preload pressure, the more torque it takes to make the clutch pack slip, this allowing the axles to spin at different speeds when cornering.
The carbon fiber clutches are more durable than conventional clutch materials because if during a burnout and 1 axle spins and the other is stationary, the clutches arent as prone to heat damage. With the 800lb unit, the likelyhood of getting the axles to spin fast enough at different speeds to cause heat damage is quite small

The Detroit Trutrac is very similar to the Torsen differential that was used in the LS1 F-bodies. It sends torque to the tire with the most traction. A third member that uses clutch packs was the optional traction device in the F-bodies, I assume it is an Eaton LSD.

There was one of the Hummer models that also used the Torsen/Trutrac setup (not 100% sure)

The Torsen/Trutrac system would be more desireable for say, autocross racing, where some differentiation in corners is needed. It will also send power to the tire that isnt spinning when coming out of a corner, where the Eaton LSD would send power equally to both axles. The Eaton would be more apt to kick the rear end out when powering out of a corner.
The Eaton, since it sends power to both axles equally, would do well in a street/strip drag racing situation.

The stock Eaton Gov-Lock G80 that our trucks use, is really quite the piece of engineering:
1.It only engages when needed (a locker that is always locked causes the truck to want to go in a straight line when going thru gentle curves on the freeway that arent sharp enough to cause them to unlock, it actually fights steering inputs. This has been my experience with the LockRite locker)

2. It doesnt engage at speeds over 20 mph (this makes highway winter driving much safer for the masses, if you use too much throttle on a snowy road, you arent as likely to do a 360°, unlike most any other traction device)

3. Doesnt introduce large amounts of backlash into the rearend causing ABS activation problems(my Powertrax No Slip did this, I would apply the brake normally to stop for a stoplight and out of nowhere the ABS activates and I almost tag the guy in front of me. Since the VSS reads the rotation of the driveshaft the excess driveline slop from the locker confuses the ABS. This wouldnt be a problem if the VSS signal was taken off of teh ring gear in the differential or the rear wheels)

4. It is quiet for the most part (Detroit Locker and Lockrite is not quiet, when turning sharp at about 2 mph to enter a parking spot sometimes there would some severe, loud noises from the rear end, I cringed whenever that happened)

Its too bad that the G80 Gov-lock is so damn weak. For us truck performance enthusiasts, there are far better choices. I do understand why GM uses it, it provides traction for the average Joe Blow, but having a G80 unlock while in a drift isnt cool whatsoever. Its too bad that we as truck performance enthusiasts are only a small part of the total truck buying population in GM's eyes. This is evidenced by GM equipping its sports cars with decent traction devices, although the 7.5" and 7.625" 10 bolts are very fragile.

BTW I heard of some folks getting a Tractech Detroit TruTrac for the 8.5/8.6" 10 bolt rearends for $360. Thats a good price. I cant remember where that was however.

Sorry about the book, I was bored.

Happy Canada Day, and for our friends below the border, Happy 4th of July.

peace
Hog

Quick Reply: Rear end