Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Rear end is crooked after shackle/hanger install

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 09:20 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear end is crooked after shackle/hanger install

I just installed a set of DJM rear shackles and hangers on my '05 Chevy RCSB truck. Now the passenger side sits higher than the drivers side by about 1 inch. Any suggestions? I used the passenger side shock extender that came in the kit. I did have to fabricate some lower shock mounts because none of the adapters that came with the shocks (toxic brand) would fit. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 04-08-2007, 10:24 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i read many times a set of sway bars will fix it. how low did you go and hows the ride
Old 04-08-2007, 10:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm willing to bet your truck was 1" higher on the passenger side BEFORE you installed the hangers/shackles. Just like many other GM trucks, yours has the infamous "Chevy lean". Do a search on this. Alot of people have explanations regarding the Chevy lean. Some people think it's from the weight of the battery, gas tank, steering column, etc since they are all on the driver's side. Other people think it's from body flex.
Old 04-08-2007, 10:58 AM
TECH Resident

Classic chevy lean. The battery and fuel tank are on the passenger side, as well as steering equipment. Plenty of weight there. Does your shackle have adjustable holes? My belltech has a few different holes so I can adjust height a little.
Old 04-08-2007, 12:16 PM
Teching In

There is no way that my truck was as crooked before I dropped the back end. I would have taken it back to the dealer in about 2 seconds if it leaned like it does now. It is very noticable. I haven't dropped the front end yet, so the truck has about 40' on it since the back end was dropped. My shackles do have two sets of holes. I have both sides in the top set of holes. Shoul I put the drivers side in the lower hole to get it back up, or is there something else I shoud try?
Old 04-08-2007, 03:23 PM
Teching In

Any other advice besides switching to the bottom shackle hole?
Old 04-08-2007, 04:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Be certain you didn't bind anything. Loosen up every thing and re-tighten. I can't remember if you do the final tightening on the ground.
Old 04-08-2007, 07:05 PM
TECH Veteran

I'd Be certain that your truck had the infamous lean before dropping it. Some are more noticable than others stock, but I've never seen one that didn't have the lean. I have noticed that dropping them seems to pronounce the stance a bit more. I just have 2" shackles in the back of mine and my drivers side was about 1 inch lower than the passenger.

I was able to remedy the problem, but to some it might not be a good fix that they would want to do. I had been running a set of spring clamps on my truck for a while now, didn't fix the lean, but did get rid of some wheel hop. This weekend I decided to move the clamps from the front of my leaf spring pack to the rear. Doing this Dropped the rear about an additional 1", but also fixed the chevy lean. It did ride better and smoother and I was actually very impressed with the weight transfer on hard takeoffs, unfortunately, there was a Bad side effect. It created, AT TIMES, very very extreme wheel hop. I couldn't have that, so I went down and got a second set of clamps and put them back on the front. Now the truck is completely level front and back, although I am waiting for my Eibach 1" front coil springs to get here. Chevy lean is completely gone. Others have done this before and didn't like it because they said it rode too rough, but I have no complaints, sure the suspension is stiffer, but it feels much more sporty and gives me a better feel for the road.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by L33Z71
but it feels much more sporty and gives me a better feel for the road.

if you drove the roads i do, you wouldn't want any more feel for the road

oh by the way...its the chevy lean...deal with it
Old 04-09-2007, 08:54 AM
TECH Veteran

Dan, did you take your second set of spring clamps off already?

Quick Reply: Rear end is crooked after shackle/hanger install