Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

rear end trouble

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2005, 07:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry rear end trouble

my trucks been sitting for 3 months now....it still has 1.79 gas in it.anyway,i had posted some threads a while back about my rear end popping when i made left hand turns.it started this literally the day after i had the transmission replaced(which has a 1 year unlimited mileage warranty, ive put 100 miles on the damn thing so i dont even know if its kosher yet)... and i had babied/avoided driving it for a month or so until one night it completely went to ****. it was wet out and i knew better than to be giving it any gas but did anyway... and BANG.. the whole truck jerked violently and that was it. it now pops turning left/right/ in reverse.. and acts especially weird moving forward. i was close to home so i limped it back and there its sat every since.now to the point of my post.... ive been told by a couple people that it was the spider gears... i dont have a g80 and dont "thrash" the truck so its especially depressing that its gone out....i want to get out of this for as little money as possible.. which is why ive been considering a powertrax no slip. this is just a direct replacement for the spider gears is it not? ive read that its a simple straightforward installation im confident i can do myself. what should i be looking for when i take off the diff cover? if its just the spider gears that broke this should be a simple fix... right? any opinions for or against and as to what to keep an eye out for would be appreciated. sorry for the drawn out post.
Old 09-11-2005, 08:45 PM
TECH Resident

When you pull the cover off look at the spider gear teeth and ring and pinion for any chucks missing, also let the oil drain over a magnet to catch the metal chucks or filings. If you do find out that your spider gears are trashed throughly clean all the bearing with somekind of cleaner but do not remove carrier from the housing and shine a light through the axle tubes to look for any stray metal that could have found its way in the axle tubes. Your rear end should have a built-in magnetic on drainplug or glued in the housing, if you don't have a magnetic just glue one in with some epoxy. The powertrax is a direct replacement for the spider gears and should be fairly straight forward.
Old 09-12-2005, 03:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hey thanks, cbirch.. ill keep all that in mind when i finally get to dig into it. anyone else have their pegleg take a ****? probably just me... im lucky like that.