Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Rear-flip kits.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 12:34 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear-flip kits.

I will be doing my own flip kit partially to save a bit of money, but mostly I would rather have my spring perch welded on rather then bolted on. Just in case I ever put some real HP to the wheels. Plus I drive pretty hard so I rather not trust bolts.

Has anyone or someone you know ever done this? I know its not that hard the axle is 3" in diameter, and I will have to shorten the driveshaft 3/4 of an inch. Probily even drill out the pin hole to match the new diameter. I think Home Depot sells drill bits, and blades for my angle grinder.

Do I need to get new spring plates to accomadate the flip? Or can the stock ones be re-used. I know I will have to un-bolt the spring pack to flip the bolt, but I think I can accomplish my goal with out to much hassle.
Old 05-16-2009, 12:45 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a little unclear on what you are asking?

Are you suggesting basically welding your leaf springs to your axle?
Old 05-16-2009, 12:50 AM
TECH Regular

No cutting off my existing axle perchs, and welding on a new ones so the axle sits on top of the leaf pack rather then under it. Thus giving me a flip kit.
Old 05-16-2009, 12:54 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by L7 Sierra
No cutting off my existing axle perchs, and welding on a new ones so the axle sits on top of the leaf pack rather then under it. Thus giving me a flip kit.
Are you just not willing to spend the money on a pre-made kit?

If that is the case, then the perch itself is the easy part. It's just a flat piece of ~3/16" steel with 5 holes in it. It would be a bit tougher to fabricate the axle saddle that keeps the axle from moving linearly.
Old 05-16-2009, 09:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure I get it either. I understand what you are saying about the cutting the saddle and mounting it on the bottom so you could do the flip. Eitherway, kit or your way, it will still be bolted in with some ubolts so I don't understand the trusting bolts part. It is that way currently and there are many people pushing their trucks with the axle ubolted to the leafs. Why would you have to shorten the driveshaft? If you do cut and reweld the saddle, make sure your pinion angle is right before you weld it.
Old 05-16-2009, 12:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I get what your saying. Just buy some new perches and leave the old ones on. I've looked at the flip kits and I don't know if I would trust the bracket setup that comes with the kits either. You will probably have to buy some bottom plates or maybe get some off of an older truck that has that style U-bolt and plate. I'm with you. I would rather have welded spring perches. Plus with welded perches you can set your pinion angle where you want it.
Old 05-17-2009, 12:13 AM
TECH Regular

I figured someone had to of welded new perches on the axle to get his own flip kit on this board. Especially since its way more about performance then looks.

I layed under my truck a week ago while doing my oil change thinking this could work get a couple of perches, and just tack weld them in till I verify the pinion angle.

My idea is about eliminating what I think is a big weak link. Which is how the axle is held onto the flip kit perches with bolts. Not to the leafs where you can never eliminate the bolting process, but just get bigger ones I guess.
Old 05-17-2009, 06:56 PM
TECH Resident

make it easy..... 10$
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
just leave the old ones there and weld these on the bottom side of the axle
Old 05-18-2009, 06:24 PM
TECH Regular

I was looking at those, but also the spring plate that holds a shock if I need it too.

I think I will be getting those this week as long with the rest of my parts.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:25 PM
JB1
TECH Resident

Theres alot of members with flip kits and fast trucks...just buy MCG kit for $125

Quick Reply: Rear-flip kits.