Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

rear flip, spring questions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 06:16 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear flip, spring questions?

Looking at dropping the truck about 5-6 inches in the rear. I would like to keep the ride and towing capacity as close to stock as possible. What are the pros and cons of flip kits compared to staying over the axle with lowering springs,shackles,hangers,ect.? I think I want to stay over the axle, but I'm not experienced with flip kits and may be wrong. Its a 4x4 if it matters but dont have any clearence worries cause it never leaves the pavement.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:27 AM
Launching!

You could do the flip. plan on 4-6 inches of drop. also plan on doing some welding if they dont have a kit that will use your old spring pads.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:49 AM
TECH Regular

Can you get the front to go down 4" to match the rear? I have never dropped a 4x4.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:40 PM
TECH Resident

i dont really see any big difference. with the notch, mine rides essentially the same. i havent towed anything with it since then but i wouldnt be the least bit afraid to do so. nick (GMRacer) used to have his truck (4x4) lowered. Look up some of the things he did.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:16 AM
On The Tree

I was thinking of a 3-5 drop. spindles, then crank the t-bars down a little for the front. as far as the back goes, you dont need a c-notch on the nnbs till 7 inches from what Ive read on here. I just cant decide which set up would be best for me in the back. I THINK the back 5 can be achieved by shackles, removal of the lifting block, and new springs by staying over the axle, or a flip kit. I would like to know if there would be an advantage to over or under.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 4.8bowtie
I was thinking of a 3-5 drop. spindles, then crank the t-bars down a little for the front. as far as the back goes, you dont need a c-notch on the nnbs till 7 inches from what Ive read on here. I just cant decide which set up would be best for me in the back. I THINK the back 5 can be achieved by shackles, removal of the lifting block, and new springs by staying over the axle, or a flip kit. I would like to know if there would be an advantage to over or under.
i think it will ride better if you do the leafs, shackles, and blocks...
as far as the front goes, you arent supposed to drop a 4x4 more than 2 inches, or you risk destroying the front axles because of the angle....

pm jb1 for more info about the ride quality with the lowering leafs......
Old 02-06-2008, 10:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SIERRA323
i think it will ride better if you do the leafs, shackles, and blocks...
as far as the front goes, you arent supposed to drop a 4x4 more than 2 inches, or you risk destroying the front axles because of the angle....

pm jb1 for more info about the ride quality with the lowering leafs......
First of all, I'm not sure what drop you have on your truck, but why would you think a flip kit wouldn't ride well? A flip kit doesn't change the travel of the leaf springs, it doesn't change ride at all. The only change is that the spring perch is reversed from the top to the bottom. It won't change ANYTHING but that and the ride height.

Second of all, why would you think an aftermarket leaf spring would ride better than the stock set? Seems like if it rode better GM would put those on their trucks instead of the stock setup.

Last, who told you you can't drop a 4x4 lower than 2" in the front? Care to explain the logic behind that one?
Old 02-06-2008, 10:41 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RandomHero
First of all, I'm not sure what drop you have on your truck, but why would you think a flip kit wouldn't ride well? A flip kit doesn't change the travel of the leaf springs, it doesn't change ride at all. The only change is that the spring perch is reversed from the top to the bottom. It won't change ANYTHING but that and the ride height.

Second of all, why would you think an aftermarket leaf spring would ride better than the stock set? Seems like if it rode better GM would put those on their trucks instead of the stock setup.

Last, who told you you can't drop a 4x4 lower than 2" in the front? Care to explain the logic behind that one?

I thoroughly agree with you Mark! I'd rather ride a flip kit everyday instead of aftermarket springs IMO!
Old 02-06-2008, 10:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xlcooplx
I thoroughly agree with you Mark! I'd rather ride a flip kit everyday instead of aftermarket springs IMO!
Exactly! That's also speaking from experience having run shackles, hangers, leaf springs, and a flip kit on my truck all at different times.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

uhh... i HAVE a flip kit, maybe thats why i know that it affects ride... i am familiar with the installation of one, since i did mine myself. i didnt think it would affect ride quality either, but you know what, it DID. it's a little bouncy out back (i think it has something to do with the position of the overload spring; it looks a little funny)
hmm... i thought trucks were meant to be able to haul heavy stuff in the back? GM springs: higher load capacity, little less ride quality... aftermarket springs: better ride quality, less load capacity....
ok.... 4x4s are meant to have ground clearance right? the axles are angled to accommodate for the height. lower that height, and you change the angle....
try lowering one 3 or 4 inches and see how long they last... but then again, it depends how you use the truck in the first place.

do you even have one of these new trucks? they are not exactly the same as the old ones, you know....
but what do i know? im just some jackass that acts like a smart *** just to get people's attention......

Last edited by SIERRA323; 02-07-2008 at 01:21 AM.

Quick Reply: rear flip, spring questions?